The Detroit Regional Chamber is hiring a full time Communications Manager. The Detroit Regional Chamber offers excellent health & dental insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield, voluntary vision insurance, Safe Harbor 401k plan with matching contribution, generous Paid Time Off Days (PTO), paid holidays, business mileage reimbursement, and much more!!! Join our team as a Manager, Communications today!
This position is temporarily remote due to COVID-19 and the interview process will be conducted remotely as well.
Communications Manager Qualifications:
A college degree in journalism, marketing or communications (or equivalent work experience) with an emphasis in copywriting, creative copy development, editing and proofreading. Previous copywriting, editing and proofreading experience required with 5+ years of work experience, in an agency or in-house copywriting, editorial, or marketing team. Internships will qualify as experience. Work experience in public policy, business, or similar role is preferred. Ability to organize, manage time, and work on multiple projects in a fast-paced team environment with proven clarity and creativity in all forms of written communication.
An understanding of marketing/communications editorial strategy desired. Ability to effectively coordinate and interface with team and various departments, take direction and produce quality work in a limited timeframe. Knowledge of AP style and ability to write, edit, proof copy written by staff and members. Perform accurate, precise work in heavy workload situations to meet deadlines. Coordinate multiple tasks with established timelines and complete assignment unsupervised.
Provide creative and innovative ideas to enhance Chamber’s editorial content across all marketing communications materials and channels. Understanding of the importance of customized content for niche audiences, and targeted subsets of Chamber membership/stakeholders. Ability to work on an integrated team. Experience/ability to project manage, develop, and execute project plans/timelines is required. Must be an open communicator that can keep various parties updated on the status of projects. Ability to be flexible and adapt to changes to projects and timelines as they arise. Must be a self-starter who can initiative to ensure execution quality and accuracy of Chamber copy is constantly maintained. Must be a creative thinker and have the ability to challenge staff with new ideas and ways of thinking.
Must have experience leading editorial calendars with multiple communications to various audiences. Must know how to create a communication campaign from scratch for various communication outlets and execute through email, social, and other communication outlets. Public relations experience is a plus. Ability to understand complex business and government issues. Must be someone who consumes news regularly and has a good understanding of business and political issues.
Communications Manager Responsibilities:
COPYWRITING & EDITING: Responsible for the development, editing, and proofing of copy, ensuring the Chamber’s Styles & Standards are adhered to. Based on the project scope the Manager may natively develop content or support the marketing team in editing or proofing. Projects include marketing materials, publications, reports, emails, web, social media, stakeholder correspondence, presentations, sales materials, press releases, and other special projects as assigned, etc.
- Reflect AP Style with appropriate level of exceptions for Chamber style.
- Be 100% grammatically correct accurate and fact checked as needed.
- Reflect basic facts while also using marketing spin to persuade audience of value and impact.
- Reflect the reality of how people consume information today with headlines, scannable content, and reduced amount of text.
- Adjust based on the relevance and tone per audience to effectively resonate with intended target audiences, i.e., members (small, middle market or large corporate), VIPS, Board of Directors, staff, and other external audiences.
- Manage review and revision process tracking changes and ensuring all final product reflects all reviews/edits. Ensuring all Chamber editorial “rules” and “consistencies” are followed.
- Potential long-form or article writing for the Detroiter Magazine, Let’s Detroit website, or other Chamber publications.
- Ability to seek out information and content about Chamber programs and initiatives.
- Ability to research a topic or conduct interviews for relevant blog posts on various areas of the Chamber website, or for its sub brands (i.e. MICHauto).
- Ability to write public policy and government updates for members.
- Ability to break down complex issues into an concise, need to know updates for members.
Execute an editorial strategy for eDetroiter and other regular email newsletters, blogs, and Chamber content as assigned.
- Maintain and execute a 52-week editorial calendar to strategically coordinate communication and avoid audience overload.
- Develop native copy while also “team sourcing” copy for each issue of the weekly eDetroiter and other digital publications.
- Detroiter Magazine, but maintain focus on member-related news.
- Review and edit copy on the Chamber’s website or various brand platforms as needed.
- Ensure all newsletters are compelling, relevant, timely, valuable information to the intended audience and/or assist in advancing a goal of the Chamber.
- Adhere to a distribution schedule that is consistent.
- Lead team discussions multiple weeks in advance to ensure planning for the content is strategic and leverages current events and Chamber happenings.
- Consistently seek out and execute new content ideas for the Chamber Today blog for the Chamber to remain relevant on timely topics (i.e. business sector thought leadership, regional transit, crisis communications, etc.)
- Assume projects for Chamber program digital platforms as needed (Driven, Let’s Detroit, etc.)
- Manage and execute social media for some of the Chamber’s program social media channels Leadership Detroit, Detroit Promise, etc. on a regular basis.Aid in redevelopment of eDetroiter strategy to support, publish date of quarterly
- Assist with the creation of online marketing messages.
OTHER (Business Acumen, Ongoing Development, Administration)
- Continuously work on developing business acumen in the areas of collaboration, integration, organization, responsiveness, and shared knowledge.
- Work to meet the Detroit Regional Chamber’s Standard of Excellence while being professional, accountable, and bringing energy and excitement to the team while focusing on the creative process.
- Foster and build collaborative environment with the Creative Advisory Team.
- Engage with Creative Advisory Team for strategic development and feedback.
- Identify new trends and best practices to enhance Chamber’s editorial presence and marketing copy.
- Participate in creative strategy development, formally through use of the Marketing Brief and informally with one-on-one council on specific writing assignments.
- Assist in review of the editorial content and Chamber’s Styles & Standards.
- Monitor marketing writing trends and best practices.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for operating within the Chamber’s Styles & Standards to develop copy for Chamber communications, materials and other print and digital correspondence as needed using AP Style. Will correlate copy with graphic design development. Utilize extreme care to verify that all approvals have been received and the most recent versions are being used organizationally. Work with integrated marketing team, responsible for the concept and execution of innovative copy for marketing initiatives, including direct mail, web marketing, print marketing materials, advertising, press releases, corporate communications, and other materials. Integration with team on editorial project management, client management, maintenance of Chamber’s marketing communications materials and measurement of effective copy. This communications role should reflect a balance between journalistic standards with marketing style tactics to persuade audience of the Chamber’s value and impact.
If you are interested in this position please submit your resume and cover letter by June 10, 2020. Cover letters are strongly encouraged for this position.
The Detroit Regional Chamber is an equal opportunity employer.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-01