Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
America Votes is the coordination hub of the progressive community, leading collaborative efforts among a diverse coalition of more than 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American’s right to vote. America Votes works nationally and in more than 20 states to provide a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states.
America Votes is committed to developing long-term roadmaps and setting critical goals for states. With an eye on redistricting and the consequences of extreme conservative gerrymanders and attacks upon voting rights, these efforts are essential to building progressive power in the states, session-by-session and election-by-election.
America Votes and its partner organizations are at the heart of the progressive movement’s effort to create change. In 2020, the America Votes coalition deployed their largest-ever voter engagement and mobilization effort to reach millions of voters in states. For more information about America Votes, visit www.americavotes.org.
COMMITMENT TO RACIAL EQUITY
America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies that are consistently tested, evaluated and updated. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building reflective and equitable state and national networks and partnerships.
- Increasing engagement of state-based groups building power in communities of color in the planning process.
- Expanding the Community Power Builders program, designed to support organizations led by and working in communities of color as they emerge into the 501(c)(4) space.
America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
The Communications Manager will play a pivotal role in a fast-paced organization at the forefront of national voter engagement and pro-voting rights campaigns across the country. Working closely with the organization’s senior leadership and communications advisors, this highly organized self-starter will lead the development and execution of AVs’ proactive and reactive communications efforts. This communications professional will serve as the primary press contact and as an on the record source for media inquiries. The Communications Manager will oversee the intern program as well as support for internal document vetting and prep. The position works directly with America Votes staff across national departments, as well as in state offices, and reports to the Executive Director.
The location for this position is the Washington, DC area. America Votes is currently working remotely. However, if you are based in a state with an America Votes office, a hybrid approach may be possible, depending on local guidance.
- In conjunction with Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director and President, develop and execute an organizational communications plan.
- Develop written and visual content as well as strategy for America Votes’ social media accounts, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Serve as primary press contact and on the record spokesperson.
- Develop preparation materials for leadership and staff for media appearances as needed.
- Maintain media list and oversee clips collection, distribution and archiving.
- Prepare written materials for in-state or national staff, including press releases, op-eds, statements, and letters to the editor – as needed.
- Copy edit and review all outward-facing written materials for consistency with America Votes’ style and branding guides.
- Manage the America Votes internship program, including hiring, delegating tasks, organizing professional development opportunities, and serving as the day-to-day manager of the interns.
- Lead communications planning around the annual America Votes State Summit, including but not limited to drafting and sending mass emails, managing the attendee app, updating the website, and editing relevant written materials.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of experience in a communications role, ideally including in a campaign or in-house, non-profit setting.
- Experience pitching stories and speaking to the press.
- Experience executing and assisting in development of communications plans for projects, campaigns or organizations.
- Experience maintaining press clips.
- Excellent writing skills and knowledge of AP Style.
- Experience maintaining a website, social media accounts, and executing a mass email communications plan.
- Actively follows current events and keeps up-to-date with critical issues in the progressive space.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing progressive values including Race Equity and Inclusion.
- Ability to work independently and to drive and manage own workload; ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively.
- Extremely detail oriented with high standards for work products.
- Positive attitude and sense of humor.
- Spirit of service.
- Familiarity with EveryAction/NGP.
- Familiarity with Medium.
- Familiarity with WordPress.
- Familiarity with social media monitoring and scheduling ie Tweetdeck.
- Experience creating graphics using Canva.
The role is a full-time position with an annual salary of $60,000 to $65,000 and depends upon the applicant’s experience. America Votes offers a competitive benefits package covering 90% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, cell phone stipend, personal professional development funds, parental leave, and 401 (K) after six months of continuous service with the organization. America Votes provides a generous paid time off policy with paid vacation, paid sick leave and personal days, at least 10 Federal paid holidays including Juneteenth, as well as paid organizational time off from at least December 25 to January 1. The position is represented by the America Votes Workers Union.
Please submit a copy of your resume and a cover letter to the application form.
If you experience any technical difficulties with our application form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only applications received through the application form will be considered; please do not email us your application materials.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law. People of color, LGBTQ candidates, individuals with disabilities, and neurodivergent individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job posted: 2022-05-03