Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Established in 1994 in Washington, D.C., the National Hispanic Medical Association (NHMA) is
a non-profit association representing the interests of 50,000 licensed Hispanic physicians in the
United States. NHMA is dedicated to empowering Hispanic physicians to be leaders who will
help eliminate health disparities and improve the health of Hispanics.
NHMA seeks an experienced Communications Manager to support a variety of internal and
external communications activities, with an emphasis on development and execution of multichannel (email, social, website, digital ads, etc.) campaigns that amplify organizational
Reporting to the Associate Director of Communications, this role is responsible for managing the
implementation of NHMA communications and marketing priorities, working closely with crossdepartmental leadership to build engagement and secure competitive growth.
The Communications Manager is a key position on the team, perfect for a highly-organized
candidate with a strong professional background in writing and passion for advancing health
equity. Self-motivation, flexibility, meticulous attention to detail, and the ability to successfully
handle multiple projects (both independently/collaboratively) is essential to this position.
● Consult with supervisor to develop, execute, manage, and advise on traditional and
digital communications strategies, tactics, procedures, and best practices
● Support production of communications materials/collateral under deadline pressure
○ (Write, review, copy edit: press releases, speeches/statements, editorials, fact
sheets, toolkits, webpages, letters, interdepartmental memos, and other business
● Assist with the successful implementation of multi-channel promotional efforts at NHMA
(e.g., public health campaigns, virtual/in-person events, program opportunities, etc.).
● Support planning and reviewing promotional schedules across channels (social media,
newsletters, eblasts, web, news/press, print, etc.).
● Coordinate with journalists to support earned media placements in key outlets and
● Help update brand/style guidelines for all public relations, marketing, advertising efforts
● Monitor performance metrics to optimize impact and measure success.
● Support reporting activities to partners, including recurring meetings and presentations
● Coordinate with hired consultants and third-party contractors/vendors
● Cultivate internal and external relationships with relevant stakeholders/partners
● Manage and train NHMA interns on best practices, support full time staff, and provide
mentorship and professional development
● Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Public Affairs/Relations,
or related field
● 4+ years of relevant work experience in nonprofit, association, agency or in-house
● Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including copy editing
● Proven experience in planning, implementing, and evaluating communications
campaigns, initiatives, and products.
● Demonstrated effectiveness in a project management role, including the ability to set
direction, troubleshoot obstacles
● Ability to work in the DC office
● Excellent knowledge of all social media platforms and best practices (Facebook, Twitter,
LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, etc.)
● Proficient in social media management software and related functionalities (e.g., Sprout
Social, Hootsuite, etc.)
● Experience with digital and print asset production and best practices (e.g., graphic design,
print, merchandise, etc.)
● Working familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud software (Photoshop, Premier Pro,
● Collaborative and hardworking team player
● Experience in website maintenance and publishing (e.g., WordPress, PersonifyMemberClicks, Squarespace, Drupal)
● Working experience with email marketing software and best practices (e.g., Constant
Contact, MailChimp, etc.)
Our Ideal Candidate
● Committed to self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and the ability to
work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse backgrounds.
● Passionate about understanding the current public health/ health care landscape
and the relevant issues affecting the Latino and other underserved communities.
● Salary Range is $72,000 – $80,000 (Maximum) commensurate with relevant education
and experience. 100% payment of health insurance packages with vision, dental. 401K
plan. Vacation and sick leave. Transportation reimbursement stipend.
● Hybrid work schedule
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours: Full-time (40 hours/week)
FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION:
Please submit a cover letter, a writing sample, and resume in PDF format to Jobs@nhmamd.org
and include “NHMA Communications Manager (Application Attached)” in the subject line.
NHMA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not
discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy,
childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender
expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as
an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Job posted: 2022-05-04