Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
One Hundred Miles (OHM) is dedicated to protecting and preserving Georgia’s 100-mile coast
through advocacy, education, and citizen engagement. We make progress toward our mission
because we are inclusive of all friends and residents of Georgia’s coast. We emphasize
collaboration with conventional and unconventional conservation allies and celebrate our coast
and the stories of the people working to protect it. OHM is a trusted resource and conservation
leader across our coast and throughout the country.
The Communications Manager reports to the Vice President of Education and Communications
and supports OHM’s mission by coordinating key aspects of the organization’s communications
strategy, including website content updates, email marketing, and social media. The role requires
the ability to craft compelling stories and implement tools that effectively engage new and
existing audiences across our coast, ensuring that OHM members have the knowledge and tools
to take action to protect our coast. Further, the Manager will work across all OHM departments
(advocacy, education, and development) to ensure adherence to the OHM brand and voice and
will help fellow staff refine clear and consistent messages to the public.
• Create engaging content and manage/expand OHM’s social media presence (including
but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube), and sharing information
about current events, issues, and campaigns. Compile and track social media metrics and
ensure the annual growth of OHM’s online advocacy network.
• Plan, write, and edit rich and creative content for the OHM website that is optimized for
search engines; develop interactive tools that engage site visitors. Track reach and SEO
and achieve goals for increased engagement and user experience.
• Assist with the writing and editing of, and assemble/disseminate regular electronic
communications, including Monthly Mile e-newsletters, Insider’s Updates, Action Alerts,
and fundraising appeals.
• Lead PR and marketing efforts for OHM programs, including annual Choosing to Lead
conference, monthly education programs, and other special events.
• Work with partners in the Georgia Coast Collaborative (GCC) to continuously update and
improve engagement for the Coastal Resource Asset Barometer (CRAB) website (a multiorganizational site that tracks progress towards shared metrics and goals).
• Assist with a variety of print reports, letters, issues postcards, and branded publications.
• Collaborate with internal teams to create branded organizational templates (i.e., letters to
the editor, press release, fact sheets, and presentation templates); develop and maintain
internal talking points that help teams communicate about their issues effectively; assist
and advise staff on outreach materials that bolster advocacy, education, and fundraising
campaigns and ensure higher levels of engagement and impact.
• Track OHM’s media presence and compile/share clips from relevant news stories.
• Lead photo acquisition and licensing; maintain photo database.
• Maintain working relationships with external vendors, such as printers and media partners.
• Participate fully as a member of the programs team, embracing and advancing OHM’s
advocacy and educational goals.
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree and/or a minimum of 7-10 years of increasingly senior experience in
communications, digital, and messaging experience with nonprofit or advocacy
organizations or campaigns; MFA or advanced communications degree a plus.
• Impeccable attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
• Ability to create polished, original content for diverse audiences that “moves the needle”
on civic engagement and conservation outcomes.
• Experience working across diverse teams to distill complex concepts into interesting and
digestible pieces; ability to thoughtfully listen to and incorporate ideas that shape
• Deep understanding of what makes compelling stories and motivates action; Proven
ability to identify and seize opportunities to reach and expand key audiences.
• Experience in writing workshops and the editing process desirable; comfortable giving
and receiving constructive feedback to colleagues at all levels.
• Willingness to try new things and pitch creative ideas, plus the ability to move projects
forward independently and under tight deadlines; ability to respond quickly but carefully
to emerging news stories and opportunities.
• Commitment to serving as an advocate for our coast; understanding and enthusiasm for
grassroots organizing principles, as well as best practices in promoting civic engagement.
• Strong computer skills; proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, and other
design software and tools.
• Comfortable with public speaking and taking public positions on relevant issues.
• Sense of humor and ability to work collaboratively under pressure a must.
This is a full-time position that is based along Georgia’s coast, with occasional remote work a
possibility. This position will require the employee to travel to communities across the Georgia
coast as needed. Successful candidates will possess a commitment to diversity and inclusion and
a passion for using the power of storytelling to protect our environmental and cultural resources
for the next generation. This position will be a key member of the programs team and should
consider themselves an advocate at heart. Through storytelling, they will work to advance the
organization’s goal of protecting and preserving Georgia’s coast—forever.
Interested candidates should email a resume, cover letter, and a representative writing sample,
along with a cover letter describing their specific qualifications and interest in the position to
HR@onehundredmiles.org. OHM offers a competitive salary based on experience and a
comprehensive benefits package.
Submissions without a cover letter will not be considered. Please, no telephone inquiries. Due to
the volume of applicants, only those who best match the position’s needs will be contacted. One
Hundred Miles is an equal opportunity employer.
Job posted: 2022-06-19