Freedom, Inc. (FI) is a Black and Southeast Asian non-profit organization that works with low- to no-income communities of color. Our mission is to achieve social justice through coupling direct services with leadership development and community organizing that will bring about social, political, cultural, and economic change resulting in the end of violence against women, gender-non-conforming, and transgender folks, and children within communities of color. FI works to challenge the root causes of violence, poverty, racism, and discrimination. Our belief is that people who are most affected by these issues must have voice, power, resources, and choice, in order for true social change to happen.
As the Communications Manager you will play a key role in promoting Freedom, Inc by implementing and creating informative content with a communication plan in order to increase our brand awareness. You will be responsible for ensuring communication is consistent while developing relationships within the community along with key media players to secure and grow media online.
- Develop and implement marketing and campaign strategies plan for the organization
- Oversee creation of marketing and communication materials such as postcards, merchandise, website, social media etc.
- Build relationships with regional and national journalists toward partnership and in service of organizations.
- Define performance indicators for campaigns level of success
- Use strategic communications to create visibility for the organization and its programs
- Build and maintain the organization’s pitch lists
- Tracking relevel media markets to identify trends or opportunities for earned media, LTE’s or op-eds
- Oversee the work of partner-consultants
- Supervise volunteers and interns
- Train and support staff and the Board of Directors in communications-related concepts and tasks as needed (e.g. spokesperson, new message platforms, etc.)
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization when appropriate
- Attend conferences and speak on panels related to the organization’s work
- Provide brief press interviews
- Manage all communications for events
- Maintain organizational editorial calendar and discuss with staff team as appropriate
- Provide training to organizational staff on communications-related activities and spokespersonship
- Manage the storage for communications-related documents, collateral, and merchandise
Social Media Management:
- Manage and implement organizational and programmatic communications on all social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram including Freedom Inc website)
- Write and edit content for website, email marketing (newsletters, press releases) and all social media
Data and Analytics
- Monitor,track, report and present online engagement analytics (web, social media)
- Create year end reports for communications strategy (may include monthly reports)
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism or related field preferred
- 3+ years experience working in marketing or communications role
- Proven ability to to design and execute marketing communications strategies can campaigns
- Excellent organizational project management skills and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Must be able to think strategically and analytically with good judgment and ability to make independent decisions in a changing environment
- Must be a team player and ability to work independently
- Capable of managing multiple projects with different deadlines
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- May have work and travel on weekends. Must have a valid license and reliable car.
- Must be comfortable working with teens, girls, women and LGBTQI folks
- Demonstrate a willingness to positively contribute to the growth and development of Freedom, Inc.’s mission, values.
- Victims/Survivors are highly encouraged to apply.
- Members of most impacted communities (Black, Southeast Asian, women, LGBTQI, disability etc.) with lived experience highly encouraged to apply
A generous compensation and benefits package will be offered based on experience.
Email a resume and a sample newsletter or press release to firstname.lastname@example.org. A writing sample regarding LGBTQI, race or gender is preferred. You may include any graphics created or media content previously written or submitted.
Job posted: 2020-07-24