Alliance for Justice is seeking an experienced communications manager to join our team. The communications manager oversees our social media channels (including posting and strategy) and develops graphics and video elements for social media for Alliance for Justice, Alliance for Justice Action Campaign, and the Bolder Advocacy program.
In partnership with the Communications Team, the Manager will help implement an overall social media strategy, create content that aligns with our overall digital strategy, advise on social media best practices, and effectively engage key audiences around our work. The position will be a core member of our AFJ and communications team (joining the communications director, press secretary, and web manager) and will report to the Communications Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Take primary responsibility for developing and maintaining all of AFJ’s/AFJAC’s digital media content and related activities
- Take responsibility for developing the social media content calendar and actively monitoring the digital and media landscape on issues surrounding the federal courts, nonprofit and philanthropic advocacy, and other issues related to AFJ/AFJAC’s mission
- Manage content creation, production, and editing for AFJAC and AFJ videos (This will be particularly important for the Bolder Advocacy video podcast, where the position will lead the editing of video and oversight of layering in closed captioning and other elements as needed).
- Help identify issues that are trending and come up with how/whether we should engage on social
- Support the organization with graphic design and formatting for social assets, reports, fact sheets, and handouts
- Help support social media and video production for AFJ events
- Represent AFJ/AFJAC at various coalitions’ communications working group meetings
- Design buttons, stickers, signs, bags, souvenirs, and other marketing materials for events
- Advise AFJ, AFJAC, and Bolder Advocacy experts on the strategic use of social media
- Create and maintain lists of key influencers and reporters in the legal and nonprofit fields in concert with the Press Secretary
- Prepare rapid-response digital strategies and social media content plans for key campaigns
- Work with vendors to implement paid digital campaigns across multiple platforms
- Other duties as assigned
- 3-5 years of communications experience in a nonprofit, for-profit or agency setting
- Strong graphic design skills and video creation and editing capability
- Significant experience with Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook, including advertising campaigns, scheduling posts, and growing audiences
- Strong writing skills and attention to detail
- Thorough understanding of how to create and implement successful social media campaigns
- Knowledge and understanding of issues within the purview of Alliance for Justice, including the courts, legal issues, and nonprofit advocacy is desired but not necessary
- Strong understanding of the existing political and legal environment
- Knowledge of design basics and experience with Adobe Creative Cloud, including Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and Premiere
- High degree of professionalism, flexibility, willingness to work collaboratively and accept tasks not named in the job description
- Excellent time and project management skills
- Experience with Salsa or similar CRM software not necessary, but a benefit
- Be able to advise on hardware/software that might be useful to advance AFJ’s, AFJAC’s, or Bolder Advocacy’s mission
The salary range is $58,000-$62,000, commensurate with experience. AFJ provides a comprehensive benefits package including medical, prescription, optional vision, dental, flexible spending account, and life and disability insurance, as well as commuter benefits and retirement programs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with staff, other departments, and outside organizations. The employee must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations. The person in this position will also need to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, and other equipment; and will be constantly required to operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a copy machine and computer printer
This position is an exempt position and has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a coach and mentor for summer interns.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all-inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.
Washington, DC although working remotely now.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants please reference Communications Manager in your subject line and submit a letter of interest, resume, and 1-2 page writing sample to the Director of Administration, Alicia Peyton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AFJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. AFJ prohibits discrimination against its employees and applicants for employment based on race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, sero-status and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or income.
Job posted: 2020-08-27