Headquartered in Smithfield, Va., since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. employees are dedicated to producing “Good food. Responsibly.®” and have made us one of the world’s leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich®, and Nathan’s Famous®, among many others. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
Smithfield Foods is seeking a dedicated professional to work closely with the Director of Corporate Communications as an integral part of the Corporate Affairs team, which encompasses communications, sustainability, government affairs, and investor relations efforts of the company. While the primary role of this individual will be to facilitate corporate communications activities, interest in and willingness to take on projects in other areas of the team’s scope is a must.
- Support corporate positioning and mission as highly visible member of Corporate Affairs team
- Ensure consistent delivery of company messaging to both internal and external audiences through the utilization of multiple platforms including, but not limited to, company websites, intranet, press releases, collateral, and social media channels
- Drive projects as assigned with attention to detail, deadline, budget, and corporate principles
- Draft, edit, and manage dissemination process of internal and external communications materials to support a wide variety of internal customers and to meet the goals of the overarching corporate communications and corporate affairs teams
- Manage production of annual Sustainability Report
- Coordinate and develop materials for events, including meetings and conferences
- Facilitate corporate website and intranet content
- Manage relationships and work of multiple communications consultants and vendors
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Business, English, or related field and 5+ years of progressive experience working on corporate communications, public relations (PR), and media relations; required.
- Experience in sustainability communications and reporting; required
- Demonstrated knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures of corporate communications and PR/media relations, and of various media channels, trends, and strategies for print, online, broadcast, and social media; required
- Prior experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, preferred.
- Experience managing agencies, preferred
- Knowledge of agriculture and/or food industry a plus
- Digital asset management experience preferred (e.g., company website(s) and social media channels)
- Internet-savvy and proficient using the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook
- Confident communicator; must have high-level verbal and written skills
- Self-starter who is energetic and motivated, and desires to go the extra mile
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- High degrees of professionalism, decision-making ability, judgment, tact, discretion, poise, instinct, and diplomacy
- Possess a wide degree of creativity and latitude with organizational, time-management, and planning skills
- Must be highly resourceful, adaptable, detailed, deadline driven, and flexible within a frequently changing environment
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and travel, approximately 15%, remain connected and be available outside of regular business hours as needed
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Careers and Benefits
Job posted: 2020-09-05