About Tipping Point
Tipping Point’s mission is to build community to advance the most promising poverty-fighting solutions. Since 2005, Tipping Point has invested more than $300 million for housing, early childhood, education, and employment solutions in the region. Our board covers 100% of our operating costs, so every dollar donated goes where it’s needed most. Last year, our grantees provided life-changing services to more than 500,000 of our neighbors in need. Visit www.tippingpoint.org to learn more.
Tipping Point’s core values are at the heart of everything we do and we look for individuals who share our commitments:
- We cultivate community because we know we are more powerful together.
- We practice gratitude.
- We hold ourselves accountable to achieving impact for and with the communities we serve.
- We relentlessly pursue equity because one’s background and identities should not predetermine one’s opportunities.
We are seeking an exceptional communications professional passionate about leveraging the power of storytelling to affect social change. As the Communications Manager, you will be responsible for planning and delivering a range of content including fundraising campaigns, event programming, speechwriting, emails, and creative projects. You will be required to think both strategically and creatively, and will be responsible for the execution of some of Tipping Point’s most important storytelling moments. The position will report to the Communications Director and work closely with your colleagues on the External Affairs team.
What will you do?
Content development and event communications
- Lead communications efforts for select events and campaigns including the development of theme, messaging, and program inclusive of both written and creative communications.
- Manage multiple vendors including design firms, event producers, and filmmakers, to develop unique event experiences.
- Distill complex ideas and issues related to poverty into stories, presentations, and event programs to resonate with various audiences.
- Partner with leaders, staff, and clients of Tipping Point grantees for storytelling opportunities at events and through campaigns.
- Uphold the visual and creative identity of the Tipping Point brand.
- Build strong relationships across the organization.
- Provide thought partnership to senior leadership.
- Understand creative and storytelling trends and bring fresh ideas to the team.
Develop creative partnerships
- Develop creative approaches and content to communicate Tipping Point’s mission and impact to key constituencies including staff, donors, and community partners.
- Collaborate with external partners: thought leaders, creative agencies, designers, film studios, and event producers.
- Translate complex ideas into copy and visuals for blogs, speeches, email, digital, case studies, and print collateral.
- Manage cross-organizational teams and multiple vendors on a project-by-project basis.
- Maintain a level head in constantly changing events and circumstances.
All other duties as assigned.
Who are you?
- You are a writer and a storyteller. You have a gift for connecting with audiences through your exceptional writing skills. You are experienced at translating complex concepts into clear and actionable content.
- You have at least 7 years of experience as a communications professional. You are extremely organized and seasoned at leading simultaneous projects from start to finish. You enjoy doing whatever it takes to execute and you have fun collaborating with others in the process.
- You are a creative problem solver. You have the ability to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle uncertainty and ambiguity. You get a kick out of digging deep and delivering the best results.
- You can roll with change. You have a demonstrated ability to be flexible in the face of changing environments, and be persistent in the face of obstacles
- You are curious. You are skilled at seeking new ideas and perspectives adapting to those that others share.
- You act as a team player. You recognize you are part of a whole and have a track record of being able to work effectively across different groups of people.
- You are committed to Tipping Point’s mission and values and have the ability to operate with the highest degree of integrity in representing the organization.
Nice to have*:
- Strong knowledge and understanding of digital/social media, or a willingness/aptitude to learn quickly.
- Experience with the non-profit sector or with teams dedicated to developing strategic partnerships.
- Experience creating and/or editing films.
*“Nice to have” really means just that; it’s entirely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
Salary + classification
Tipping Point is committed to paying competitive wages. In an effort to increase equity, because we know that salary negotiations tend to have an unfair bias, we do not participate in a salary negotiation process for any candidate. We will make our best offer, and it will be the same regardless of the candidate. The annual starting salary for the Communications Manager role is $95,000. This position meets the exemption requirements as defined by state and federal law. Exempt employees are paid on a salaried basis, and their salary is intended to constitute their entire regular compensation, regardless of the number of hours they work; therefore, exempt employees are not eligible for overtime pay.
Ready to change your life? Apply now!
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Tipping Point will consider qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-01