Interested applicants, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
data.org has an immediate opening for a self-motivated Communications Manager that will provide critical support to enhance its partnership platform in the field of data science for social impact (DSSI). The Communications Manager will work closely under the Chief Marketing Officer to assist, manage and disseminate a targeted communication strategy aimed to increase global engagement with funding partners, technical assistance providers, social impact organizations and various field-building stakeholders. The position requires ongoing communications support for all data.org events and convenings. S/he will be will work to showcase, highlight and share the organizations three strategic pillars to: 1) prove the case for DSSI to effectively address complex social problems; 2) strengthen the capacity of people and organizations to use DSSI; and 3) establish a public commons to deliver open-sourced goods that transform the DSSI ecosystem. This role will be instrumental in building a global community, elevating policy and practice ideas and successfully delivering cross-sector convening activities through content creation, social media management, publications and webinars.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Under the guidance of the Chief Marketing Officer, assist in the development and implementation of data.org’s communication strategies in support of its mission.
- Draft, manage, and disseminate content creation for all organizational communication outlets including but not limited to; press releases, toolkits, newsletters, op-eds, publications, blog posts, website content, and reports.
- Work with the wider communications team to conduct data.org digital product redesign and create and implement a roadmap for ongoing development.
- Help develop a social media strategy and manage all social media platforms for the organization.
- Oversee and manage data.org’s public-facing engagements including webinars series and convenings (virtual and in-person).
- Ensure consistency around content, branding, language, and messaging across all public-facing platforms.
- Scan, identify and track global initiatives, media opportunities, speaking engagements, and forums that coincide with data.org’s objectives in the field of DSSI.
- Provide analysis of media trends and shifting communications landscapes by monitoring print, online, and broadcast coverage related to DSSI.
- Keep abreast of communications best practices and build/maintain strong relationships with national and local communications professionals in the field.
- Collaborate and support colleagues around all strategic communication activities including programmatic efforts, partnership engagement (deck creation), impact practice management, and thought leadership.
- Design and activate communication crisis management plans when needed
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, and 5 to 10 years of relevant work experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- A deep understanding of paid, earned, and social media.
- Thorough knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Familiarity with media list building and monitoring software.
- Experience with CRM’s required.
- Ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Extremely well organized, detail-oriented, and analytical.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, strong problem-solving skills, and creative thinking skills.
- Flexibility and openness to evolving responsibilities.
- Sense of humor
Job posted: 2021-02-24