Who we are
D-tree International is on a mission to radically improve health by strengthening health systems through innovations in digital technology. D-tree works through partnerships with Ministries of Health and NGOs to bring human-centered design approaches to collaborations in which we support partners to understand local health system challenges and opportunities, and integrate technology into these systems to improve the accessibility, quality and accountability of healthcare delivery, ultimately leading to high-performing health systems that improve health and wellbeing for all. A key aspect of our work is our end-to-end partnership, in which we also support partners to use systems thinking to roll out, implement and monitor programs and facilitate a culture of data use among multiple stakeholders.
D-tree has received funding from USAID, the Gates Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, Foundation Botnar, Conrad Hilton Foundation, Crown Family Philanthropies, Human Development Innovation Fund, Packard Foundation, UN Foundation and more than 20 international NGOs. As a pioneer in the field of digital health, D-tree has supported more than 8,000 health workers serving over 5 million families in 16 countries throughout sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. Evaluations have demonstrated improved heath impact through D-tree’s digital programs, including 27% reduction in maternal mortality, 50% increase in facility delivery rates, four-fold increase in postpartum follow-up, 70% increase in contraceptive prevalence rates and 15-fold improvements in health worker performance. In Zanzibar, D-tree is supporting the government to develop and institutionalize digital health initiatives at national scale, transforming service delivery and improving care for millions of people.
As D-tree continues to grow, we have a need for a Communications Manager to help shape and tell our story and communicate the impact of our work to a global audience.
Who you are
We are seeking a full time, motivated professional who has experience helping mission-driven organizations reach their communications goals. You are a strategic thinker and self-starter with experience in communications and PR as well as digital and social media. You have an understanding of today’s fast paced media landscape and industry trends, and a constant desire to consume all forms of media in the field of global and digital health. You have a strong personal interest and knowledge of international health, ideally drawn from previous work experience developing and leading communication strategies and activities for non-profits.
What you will do
D-tree’s work saves lives and strengthens health systems. You will be responsible for communicating this impact and helping to raise D-tree’s profile as a high-impact, innovative organization in the field. You will work closely with organization leadership and our global team to develop and lead the execution of a strategic communication agenda, execute internal and external communication campaigns to inform, inspire, and motivate donors, partners and other key stakeholders about D-tree’s work and impact, and measurably advance support for our programs. You will serve as a partner to leadership providing expert support, feedback and guidance on key communication initiatives. You will spearhead and lead communication campaigns and initiatives working with program teams to gather original content, and then publish and continually optimize this content and messaging for maximum impact with D-tree’s core audiences.
- Develop our communications and PR strategy in collaboration with our executive team to be rolled out over the coming 12-months.
- Support refinement of D-tree’s messaging to ensure a consistent, targeted, and impactful message for the organization.
- Build D-tree’s reputation for thought leadership through media relations, marketing and communication and measurably drive increased awareness and engagement by our target audiences as measured by data.
- Help develop message sets aligned to D-tree’s growth strategy and develop communication collateral, including social media posts, videos, presentations, talking points, emails, newsletters, blogs, and campaigns to achieve specific objectives in both digital and print channels
- Lead development of an annual report, highlighting D-tree’s impact and stories from our work.
- Identify and create meaningful relationships with relevant media, influencers and content creators to facilitate D-tree content being picked up and expand our external reach.
- Lead internal communications efforts to keep D-tree staff appraised on organizational programs and initiatives, and broader development within the field of global digital health (i.e. monthly newsletter).
- Work with team to develop external communications strategies for all D-tree programs to ensure programs are set up to tell a compelling story to attract additional funding to expand our work.
- Build communications skills among our program teams in Tanzania and Malawi (and potentially elsewhere as we expand) so they can contribute stories from our work.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Communications, PR, marketing or related field required; advanced degree preferred.
- At least 5 years of communications or PR experience, with preference given to experience in the non-profit and/or global health space.
- Proven experience in communicating with editors and media, developing media strategies, identifying story angles, writing releases and press materials and securing coverage.
- Strong experience and familiarity with the evolving media landscape, social media, and emerging platforms of communication.
- Experience in technical marketing products such as Google Analytics, Search Console, Mailchimp.
- Ability to work both in a self-directed and proactive nature, as well as collaboratively as part of a team.
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines at the same time.
- Maintain high standards and impeccable attention to detail across internal and external deliverables; demonstrates keen sense of responsibility, ownership and pride in delivering quality results
Job posted: 2021-01-28