About Sandy Hook Promise Action Fund
Sandy Hook Promise Action Fund is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization committed to protecting all children from gun violence in schools, homes, and communities. The SHP Action Fund champions a holistic policy platform that promotes gun safety, youth mental health, and violence prevention education. The organization works at the state and federal level to pass nonpartisan legislation through inclusive partnerships, diverse grassroots education, and community mobilization. It is part of Sandy Hook Promise , founded and led by several family members whose loved ones were killed in the tragic mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14, 2012.
Commitment to Racial justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion:
SHP strives to ensure its culture and work environment reflect the values of race, diversity, equity, and inclusion (REDI) and is responsive to the views and issues of the diverse communities with which we live and work. SHP encourages individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to equity and inclusion to apply.
The Communications Manager will support and execute a communications strategy to advance the policy priorities of the Sandy Hook Promise Action Fund. This person will work to broaden our reach and impact through both proactive and reactive communications that grow awareness of our federal and state legislative efforts. The Communications Manager will collaborate with team members across our organization, including legislative affairs, grassroots engagement, communications, and digital marketing, while serving as a subject matter expert on policy communications. The Communications Manager reports into the Vice President of Policy & Partnerships.
- Co-create and execute a comprehensive communications strategy for the Action Fund that includes traditional media, digital media, web, and other creative content
- Field and manage day-to-day media relations
- Track violence prevention and school safety news related to SHP’s policy priorities and flag engagement opportunities
- Craft external communication tools and talking points for the use of SHP’s senior leadership, policy team, and supporters
- Write and edit external-facing printed and digital materials related to policy
- Liaise with partner organizations on coordinated communications
- Coordinate with SHP’s marketing team and other staff members to help execute the above
- 5+ years of experience in media relations and external communications
- Excellent writing and copyediting skills
- Commitment to support and foster diversity, equity, and inclusion values through digital and communications strategies
- Experience managing projects involving multiple people with the ability to hold self and others accountable
- Agency experience a plus
- Understanding of political process and procedure
- Ability to work consistently across departments to support varying goals
- Appetite to work in a collaborative, fast paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to think creatively and utilize digital tools (social media platforms, video, etc.) to promote and advance SHP’s policy priorities
- Frequent consumer of policy-related news
- Ready to embrace opportunities for growth and learning new skills
- Performs other duties as required.
Benefits and Salary Range
The salary for this position is $85,000.
SHP offers a competitive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off and holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Health, dental, and vision
- Employer paid life insurance and short- and long-term disability
- 401k match
- Employer Paid Employee Assistance Program.
Our organization operates within a distributed workforce, allowing for location flexibility across the country for most positions. We provide remote office support for all staff, which includes a laptop, home office reimbursement, and monthly cell phone reimbursement up to $50.
Equal Opportunity Employment
SHP is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be an employer of choice: where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and do their best work. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic. We are focused on promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion and believe deeply in having a workforce comprised of people of all beliefs and backgrounds who seek to prevent gun violence and stop the tragic loss of life. Members of all under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
Job posted: 2021-02-07