About New York Working Families Party
Working Families is a political organization that fights for social, economic, and racial justice — and wins. Our work combines bold issue advocacy campaigns with electoral engagement to win ground breaking policies and elect strong progressive champions.
We are passionate about advancing policies that support dignity and justice for working class communities, communities of color, and the unemployed.
About the Communications Manager
The Communications Manager is responsible for internal and external communications within New York, developing and executing sophisticated media strategies to advance our legislative and electoral priorities and telling our story to our membership, leaders and the broader progressive movement. S/he will foster relationships with news media, editors, reporters, bloggers, partner organizations, political campaigns, and public officials to advance campaigns, enhance our reputation and brand, and promote our values. The Communications Manager will serve as a key strategist, a primary shaper and steward of our brand, and an important advisor on our digital program.
What You’ll Do
- Develop message and communications plans to advance priority campaigns
- Plan and execute internal and external communications to develop and grow our brand using earned, paid and digital media;
- Live in the news cycle; monitor risks and opportunities; seize real-time media opportunities to advance our values, position and brand;
- Build relationships with print, broadcast and new media journalists;
- Coach, train and develop leaders and senior staffers as media spokespeople;
- Collaborate in coalition with organizational partners and allies;
- Anticipate, prevent, and, if necessary, manage crisis communications;
- Draft talking points, op-eds, memos, and other materials, as needed;
- Identify online organizing opportunities;
- Produce detailed reports of communications activities for staff and leadership;
- Other duties, as required.
Who You Are
- Seasoned in communications, public relations, or advocacy; campaign experience preferred;
- Experienced in landing high-profile media placements and dealing with reporters, editors, editorial boards, columnists, bloggers, broadcast producers and thought leaders;
- Write exceptionally for both press and popular audiences. Writing should be sharp, personable, and memorable;
- Detail oriented;
- Politically smart with the ability to anticipate how friends and opponents will respond to our actions or statements;
- Knowledgeable of online advocacy tools and online organizing tactics is a plus;
- Calm in a crisis, with great instincts;
- Skilled at working with volunteer/member leaders, leadership and providing strategic guidance in teams;
- Commitment to transformative justice.
What Else Should You Know
We are building a team of highly talented people who understand how to win and to build, and can sit at the intersection of organizing and political strategy. We have a start-up mentality, meaning that we are actively innovating to meet the needs of our base and to scale our operation, while being committed to deep learning, tracking and evaluating our work.
The position is full-time and you can be based anywhere in NY State, though regular travel to NYC and Albany is expected, when safe to travel. WFP complies with all state, local, and CDC COVID-19 health guidelines.
The base salary range for this position is $70,000 to $80,000 and will be adjusted based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration years of experience, geographic location, and final job description. We also offer excellent benefits.
About Working Families Party
The Working Families Party is the progressive party for the multiracial working class, fighting for a nation that works for the many, not the few. Our People’s Charter spells out our roadmap to a nation that cares for all of us. We recruit, train, and support transformational candidates up and down the ballot — and run them to win.
The WFP is made up of individual and organizational members who come together to build a new political movement to change America.
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to economic and social justice. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at email@example.com with the subject line “Application Accommodation” to request such an accommodation.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-11