Communications Manager (Full-time position)
Pacific Environment seeks to protect communities and wildlife of the Pacific Rim by strengthening local leadership and championing social justice in California, Alaska and the Arctic, China, Vietnam, and elsewhere. With three decades of achievement, we collaborate extensively with grassroots partners and focus on energy and climate, marine and pollution issues, and wildlife and watershed protection. Learn more at www.pacificenvironment.org.
The Communications Manager will produce and manage communications that mobilize public support for Pacific Environment and its mission and goals, focusing primarily on our Climate and Arctic campaigns.
The ideal candidate will have a strong record of effective communications to advance advocacy campaigns, strong content production and digital advocacy skills, an urgency to defeat the champions of fossil fuel use, a passion for protecting communities and wildlife, and a commitment to environmental justice and equity.
Location and Travel
The position is based in the United States, preferably in San Francisco, California, or Anchorage, Alaska. The position will involve some domestic and international travel (only when safe and allowable regarding Covid-19 conditions).
- 80–85%: Develop and manage communications plans to advance the goals of our Climate and Arctic campaigns. Create communication strategies for new reports, events, and other key campaign moments. Produce content and graphics for press releases, op-eds, social media, multimedia, etc. Manage and grow press relationships and successfully place stories in traditional press.
- 20–15%: Develop and implement communications to mobilize public support for Pacific Environment’s mission and goals. Manage and grow Pacific Environment’s grassroots supporter base. Manage all social media.
- 5+ years of experience in relevant communications work, including communications planning, implementation, and campaign management.
- Excellent written communications skills in English (and please let us know if you speak other languages—we’re interested).
- Proven ability to produce compelling visual content, including graphics, video, and multimedia.
- Proven ability to grow and activate grassroots supporters.
- Skilled in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere, or similar multimedia programs.
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple projects without sacrificing quality.
- Experience with analytical tools to evaluate impact of digital communications across platforms a plus.
- Experience with WordPress and Action Network a plus.
- Experience with intersectional advocacy work on issues of race, class, and gender.
Compensation and Benefits
Pacific Environment provides compensation commensurate with experience and equitable with others on our team, plus a full benefits package. The employee will enjoy a flexible working environment with a dedicated, diverse group of colleagues.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent written communications skills in English (and please let us know if you speak other languages—we’re interested).
How to Apply
1. Please apply by email to email@example.com with “Communications Manager” in the subject line and attach a cover letter, resume, references, your salary expectations, and your answer to the questions below.
2. In a separate document, please answer the following questions in 100–250 words each:
(i) What are the 2–3 most important strategies you would use to grow Pacific Environment’s grassroots supporter list?
(ii) How would you motivate our supporters to take direct action to drive policy and political change?
(iii) Tell us about one of your most successful communications campaigns, including strategies you used and outcomes.
3. Timing: Applications received by November 17 will definitely be reviewed. However, the position will remain open until filled, and we encourage even late applications.
At Pacific Environment, we value diversity and believe that creating teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to the change we seek. We encourage people from communities harmed by environmental degradation or from backgrounds underrepresented in the environmental movement to apply.
No phone calls, please.
Job posted: 2020-12-14