Communications Manager, News
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 7 years of experience in public relations, communications, or journalism.
- Experience in PR, public affairs, internal or external communications, or journalism.
- Demonstrated creativity in proactive and reactive communications approaches.
- Ability to think, plan and execute on multiple projects simultaneously in an organized fashion.
- Ability to work calmly and maintain good judgement in fast-paced environments and escalate appropriately.
- Ability to maintain relationships with teams across Google, journalists, key partners and influencers in tech, industry, business and mainstream press.
About the job
As a member of the Global Communications & Public Affairs team, you will work cross-functionally to help communicate with journalists and other thought leaders; devise specific communications materials and campaigns; engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers; and develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns. We’re looking for great communicators who can understand complex issues and explain them in person and also via well written, simple blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and more.
As a Google Public Relations and Communication Manager, you will work closely with colleagues across Google to tell clear stories about products, people, partnerships and values where they intersect with news, the news industry and publishers ecosystem. You will be responsible for external communications, pitching stories, dealing with issues and creating written materials with a view to demonstrating the impact Google has on the industry and ecosystem. In this role, you will craft messages, write with flair and knowledge, push creative ideas, take smart risks in storytelling and see around corners to head off issues. A keen understanding of the challenges the industry is facing and the key players is central to this role. We will not be able to provide visa sponsorship for this role.
We help inform and educate users, advertisers, partners, opinion leaders–and our own employees–about the benefits of Google’s products, our distinctive company culture/values and our approach to the big public policy issues of the day. You are quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious. To succeed in this role, you are willing to try new things and can manage numerous projects with tight deadlines. Things happen quickly at Google, and to do great work, you need to be an enthusiastic team player who can work cross-functionally with partners across PR, comms, marketing, product and beyond.
- Work with internal teams and groups focused on news products and news issues.
- Build campaigns, pitch stories and features, develop proactive and reactive messaging that helps tell our story around products, people, and partnerships, address issues and manage press inquiries.
- Lead rapid response efforts both reactive and proactive, including compiling opeds, blog posts, social posts, scripts and more.
- Help explain and develop storytelling efforts around Google’s impact on the news industry and ecosystem and work with external partners
- Develop and maintain close, productive relationships with teams across Google, journalists, key partners and influencers in tech, industry, business and mainstream press.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-10