Communications Manager, Political and Public Affairs
Who We Are
Bryson Gillette is a California-based, minority-owned, intentionally-diverse strategic communications and public affairs firm dedicated to serving the needs of its clients and delivering results. With expertise in strategic communications, media relations, crisis communications, and political consulting, we develop tailored strategies that shape narratives around the issues that matter to clients and address their most pressing communications needs.
We work with political candidates, progressive organizations, major companies, national law firms, and nonprofits. Our partners and vendors are also leaders in their fields. We are based out of Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles, and are currently working remotely. We are open to our team living outside of these areas.
We are also a fun, smart, collaborative group who care about the world around us and seek to make positive change at home and across the country. We are experts without egos and creatives without control issues. Come work with us and you’ll learn a lot, make an impact, and have fun doing it.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and/or veteran status.
Who You Are
You are a smart, kind, friendly individual who works hard and well with others. You are an exceptional communicator who produces excellent, strategic, and creative work, while also bringing a lot of heart to everything you do. People describe you as a self-starter and problem-solver, who multitasks well and thrives in a fast-paced environment. You bring a diverse perspective to every conversation, while also listening and empathizing. Above all, you want to leave a lasting, positive impact on the world around you.
What You’ll Do
- Communicate clearly: With guidance from senior team members, in both public affairs and political campaigns, you will write and craft a range of communications, including media advisories, talking points, proposals, op-eds, ad concepts, scripts, social media content, and other content.
- Engage media: In this role, you’ll work with our directors to execute earned and paid media strategies. You will work on all types of advocacy and political campaigns, engaging traditional, print outlets and broadcast/cable television, as well as digital and social platforms. You will build media lists, draft pitches, reach out to reporters, and land stories. To do so successfully, you will be thoughtful, curious, strategic, and use good judgment.
- Execute campaigns and manage projects: We pride ourselves on providing excellent service to our clients. You will be a key part of our team, working as a project manager for specific clients or projects. You will be responsible for tracking tasks and deliverables, and ensuring that deadlines are met so that no balls are dropped. To be successful, you’ll need to stay exceptionally organized and be comfortable managing up.
- Build relationships with stakeholders: It will be important for you to build relationships with clients, team members, and vendors, and to do so in a remote environment. Building rapport over the phone, zoom, and email is crucial. Upholding a strict level of confidentiality, while establishing and maintaining trusting and warm relationships both internally and externally is key.
- Be a team player and grow: We are currently a mid-sized team but are continually growing. We have an all-hands-on-deck approach in a remote working environment. To be successful in this role, you should be responsive to emails, texts, and calls from clients, team members, and vendors.
What Skills and Experiences You’ll Bring
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Self-starter, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet changing deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent attention to detail and organized
- Strong ability to work effectively with senior management and senior-level clients
- A growth mindset
What Would Be Great to Bring
- At least 2-3 years of work experience in communications, political campaigns, in government, or public affairs
- Experience working on issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion, and/or social or racial justice advocacy
- Client relationship experience
- Spanish speaker and writer and/or experience with multicultural media outlets
- Good sense of humor
For interested candidates, please send the following to Kasey Poulin (email@example.com), with a subject line that reads (exactly as written): Comms Manager Application.
- Please include:
- Cover letter answering the following questions (in no more than one page, 11 point font):
- Why are you interested in this role?
- What makes you an exceptional candidate for this position in particular?
- Where did you learn about this opportunity?
- What is one of your takeaways from the pandemic?
Job posted: 2021-07-25