Communications Manager – Product
We are looking for a driven communications professional with a strong understanding of the technology media ecosystem across the United States and a solid background in consumer product communications. The candidate will be a member of a seasoned group of professionals helping to shape and tell the story of Tinder’s renowned – and evolving – product experience. They will report to the Director of Global Communications in the Los Angeles HQ office. The role requires strong cross-functional interactions with teams based across the US. This is a global role with a focus on US media relations.
In this role you will:
- Serve as a liaison to the product organization, forging and maintaining relationships with Product Managers across multiple verticals while translating, distilling and cascading the latest updates to the wider, global communications team.
- Develop messaging and strategies that drive awareness of our brand and product experiences through earned media and consumer-facing initiatives that reinforce our mission, tech and pivotal role in influencing the modern meet-cute.
- Train and advise spokespeople for media interviews, external presentations and more.
- Serve as a proactive on-the-record spokesperson during launch moments, as well as a reactive voice mitigating potential issues management.
- Partner and develop strong relationships with stakeholders across the business, including but not limited to Tinder’s business development/partnerships, creative, legal, marketing, human resources and localizations teams.
- Administer, own and oversee several communications team processes including inbound press inquiry management, media monitoring, corporate messaging maintenance and more.
Most of this applies to you:
- You have at least 5 years of experience in communications, in tech or consumer sectors (agency experience is a plus – we care more about your experience vs. the number of years under your belt).
- You have some experience working with engineering/technical teams, managing product launches and handling crisis communications situations.
- You are passionate about the Tinder brand and deliberately empathetic in your approach to communications.
- You have a strong roster of relationships with tech media and have a curiosity to build relationships with new contacts and can do it with great ease.
- You know when a journalist has switched roles or started their own newsletter—and keep industry podcasts on rotation.
- You can balance a level of natural curiosity with a healthy sense of skepticism. You can simplify complex ideas for wider distribution while identifying when there is a business need to peel back the onion and search for deeper understanding.
- You can prioritize across multiple planes: effectively managing your time amidst a busy launch calendar, strategically recommending when there is (or isn’t) a story to tell, staying up-to-date with the latest and greatest breaking news and trend pieces while keeping your finger on the pulse of the business.
- You move with influence but you’re also willing to get into the weeds, meaning you flourish in a ‘hands-on’ role, adding value at different levels.
- You have a strong bias-to-action, are adept and agile on changing course and used to getting things done on short timeframes.
- You’re a strategic thinker, nimble and creative problem solver, an inspiring leader, a team player, and an excellent communicator.
- You are confident and creative in writing, capable of crafting everything from executive messaging to consumer-facing newsletters, press releases and everything in between.
- You share the point of view that one great person on the team is more valuable than 3 to 5 people—and want to be that great person.
As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
· The hustle of a startup with the impact of a global business
· Tremendous opportunity to seek some of the industry’s most exciting problems
· Working with an outstanding team of creative, fun and highly motivated people
· Comprehensive health coverage, competitive salary, and 401(k) match
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Job posted: 2020-11-21