Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Communications Manager, Public Affairs & Media Relations
Center 1 (19052), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Communications Manager, Public Affairs & Media Relations
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Capital One is seeking an entrepreneurial public relations professional to drive enterprise communications and public affairs initiatives for the company and to help build two new Corporate Communications functions. This is an exciting opportunity to help create best-in-class programming from start to finish, assisting in the design and launch of a new Media Relations Center of Excellence and the redesign of Capital One’s legacy Public Affairs function.
The Communications Manager will be part of the horizontal Corporate Reputation & Insight team, which manages various top-of-house communications strategies, enterprise storytelling and reputation management. They will report to the co-lead of Public Affairs & Media Relations for Capital One and will be well integrated into the broader Corporate Communications and External Affairs teams, working closely with colleagues spanning Product and Tech Innovation PR, Citizenship PR, Internal/Associate Communications, The Capital One Insights Center, Government Affairs, Regulatory Affairs, Community Impact & Investing and various other partner teams.
The Communications Manager will have a multifaceted portfolio that balances proactive campaign design and execution with rapid response and issues management.
The ideal candidate will be someone who is energized by the opportunity to create something new and is comfortable managing through change. This person will be a skilled writer and spoken communicator, a strategic thinker, and in possession of superior judgement and organizational skills. Curiosity and a deep appreciation for diverse perspectives are essential to the role.
- Develop, project manage and execute multi-audience, multi-channel communications campaigns that leverage the PESO model (Paid, Earned, Shared and Owned)
- Design and execute issues management strategies to protect Capital One’s reputation
- Engage with members of the media to help shape news coverage of Capital One on both a proactive and reactive basis
- Conduct media trainings and prepare spokespeople for interviews
- Provide strategic counsel to senior leaders within the company on various issues requiring media and messaging guidance
- Work closely with members of the Impact & Insights team to integrate data and analytics into campaigns and strategic recommendations
- Play a leadership role in the building and launching of Capital One’s Media Relations Center of Excellence and in charting the strategic direction of the company’s redesigned Public Affairs function
- Manage agency relationships and projects
- Develop and maintain deep fluency and expertise in relevant external trends impacting the business and its peers
- Bachelor’s Degree OR Military Experience
- At least 5 years of experience in developing and implementing communications strategies, including experience working with members of the media
- At least 5 years of experience in managing multiple projects
- Background in strategic communications and/or public affairs that enhance and protect reputation health through integrated PR programs
- Experience developing multi-channel communications strategies and tactical plans
- Deep media relations experience and reporter relationships
- Experience training and preparing senior level spokespeople for media interviews
- Familiarity with decisionmaker audiences, such as elected officials and community activists, and an understanding of best practices for influencing those stakeholders’ perspectives
- Experience identifying KPI’s and measuring campaign results
- Experience integrating data and research into messaging and earned media plans
- Background supporting organizations operating in highly regulated industries and an understanding of the various stakeholders involved is preferred, but not required
- Background in the financial services and/or tech industries is preferred, but not required
- Ability to submit 1 to 2 writing samples upon request
- 5 years of work experience in communications and training consulting
- 2 years of experience with large program delivery/communications
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English or related concentration
- 2 years of experience working with social-media platforms Experience with G Suite tools
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One’s recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-01