Communications Manager (Remote)
Yelp’s mission is to connect people with great local businesses. As a trusted source of information on local business, millions of people turn to Yelp every day to make decisions about where to spend their money — from where to eat, shop or stay, to which healthcare, home or local service provider to use, and beyond.
Yelp is seeking a communications manager to drive the strategy and execution of Yelp’s data communications program. As a core member of our growing communications team, you will be responsible for communicating Yelp’s data driven and product storylines to press and policy makers. Working with internal stakeholders, you will identify opportunities to demonstrate the value of Yelp data through a regular cadence of local economic and trend reports, as well as proactive campaigns and programs, in addition to supporting product communications across the company. We are looking for a communications pro with a track record of telling data-driven stories and strong relationships with relevant reporters; a team player who can navigate initiatives cross-functionally with data science and product teams; and an exceptional communicator with experience running successful proactive PR initiatives.
This is a full-time role based in the United States.
Where you come in:
- Develop and communicate Yelp’s data-driven narratives, and own strategy and execution of the data PR programs.
- Work with internal and external partners to develop proactive PR campaigns, storylines and reports that emphasize Yelp’s valuable data.
- Develop, pitch and secure accurate and positive coverage of Yelp data-driven reports, storylines and product innovation.
- Collaborate with the PR and product teams to support and lead consumer product announcements.
- Leverage data to enhance cross functional PR campaigns and announcements.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with business, economic, trade and industry press.
- Respond to inbound press inquiries on issues related to local economies, data-driven comms and product; draft messaging and statements, and provide background information to help develop stories with reporters.
- Prepare press and communications materials including messaging and talking points, statements, pitches, press releases, blog posts, and presentations.
- Prepare, media train, and staff spokespeople for press interviews, as well as speaking engagements.
- 6-8+ years experience in communications, with a focus on product and data-driven storytelling or in a data journalism role; Bachelor’s in communications, journalism or a related field.
- Collaborative team player: experience driving projects cross-functionally and working effectively with internal partners and remote colleagues in different departments.
- Relationship-driven: you’ve built strong relationships with reporters, and you’re not afraid to pick up the phone to pitch and get feedback.
- Results-driven: you know what outcomes you’re aiming for and how to measure success.
- Storyteller: you know how to build a story with the right ingredients, how to ensure an accurate and positive outcome, and have a track record for landing high-impact features.
- Media-savvy: experience managing stories with reporters on-the-record, off-the-record and on-background.
- Master of the written word: obsessing about your writing is a point of pride, whether it’s a press release, reactive statement, messaging, pitch, or blog post.
- Self-possessed communicator: ability to use your verbal and presentation skills to effectively and diplomatically advance a position with key stakeholders.
- Proactive problem-solver: you think two steps ahead, anticipate questions and issues before they arise, and take initiative.
What you’ll get:
- Effective your first day: Full medical, vision, and dental (100% paid employee only coverage)
- 15 days PTO (accrual begins on date of hire and increases with 2+ years of tenure thereafter), 12 paid holidays, plus one floating holiday
- Up to 14 weeks of parental leave
- Monthly wellness subsidy
- Flexible spending account
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Employee stock purchase plan
At Yelp, we believe that diversity is an expression of all the unique characteristics that make us human: race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, and education — and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The foundation of our diversity efforts are closely tied to our core values, which include “Playing Well With Others” and “Authenticity.”
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability.
We will consider for employment qualified candidates with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law (including, for example, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance for roles based in San Francisco).
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-969-8488.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-23