Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Communications Manager, Science Technology
Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CZI also supports multiple work options. Learn more about our philosophy and approach here.
We’re looking for a Communications Manager, Science Technology to join our team and advance CZI’s communications in support of our rapidly growing science technology work. At CZI we believe that effective public communication is essential to having the impact we want to have on the world. We want to inspire others and tell the story of the important work that our grantees and partners are doing every day to dismantle systemic barriers to scientific progress. We also want to lift up the stories and voices of our partners—including scientists, patients, and engineers—and the people and communities they serve. The right person will have strong domain expertise at the intersection of science and technology, experience working with science and technology reporters, and the desire and ability to collaborate cross-functionally across science, engineering, product, brand, and communications teams. A product marketing background is a plus. In this role, you will be responsible for developing and executing communications strategies that support CZI’s rapidly growing body of work in science technology, including in infectious disease, single-cell biology, and imaging science. This role sits on the central Communications and Brand Team.
- Create and execute communications strategies for CZI’s work in science technology, including for tools and products built in-house, and through partnerships with scientists
- Advise and support science technology and science program team leadership on speaking engagements, press requests, and other public-facing opportunities
- Manage press activities related to science technology, including proactively sourcing and pitching stories around CZI’s work in infectious disease, single-cell biology, and imaging science
- Work closely with the CZI Science and Science Technology team, including the Science Technology Product Marketing Manager, to support awareness and growth strategies for CZI-developed technologies
- Develop and maintain relationships with members of the media (with a focus on science and technology reporters), CZI grantees, and other key external stakeholders
- Partner closely with Science leadership to provide executive communications guidance and support relevant thought leadership opportunities related to our work in science technology, including speaking opportunities, industry events, op-eds, and more
- Support cross-functional and organization-wide brand initiatives related to Science Technology, including videos, social media campaigns, website builds and refreshes, and annual letters
- Plan announcements, launch moments and storytelling opportunities across key Science Technology portfolios
- Draft press releases, statements, memos, blogs, social media, website content, and other communications materials
- 8-10 years of experience in science and/or technology communications
- Strong experience working with reporters, including national and tech-focused media, including “on-the-record” experience
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to distill and clearly communicate complex technical information for a variety of audiences
- Comfort working in an ambiguous, matrixed environment, where decisions happen fast and we learn by doing and adapt as needed. Willingness and ability to work collaboratively, adapt to a dynamic work environment, and navigate complexity to deliver results
- Willingness to travel (estimated travel is 15%, domestic and international, after the pandemic)
- Product marketing, biotech, or tech startup experience is considered a plus
- Crisis comms experience is considered a plus
CZI believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and save lives. It aligns to our mission and work to cure, manage, and prevent disease. Proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination, including eligible booster(s), will be required for all employees (with the exception of reasonable accommodations due to medical or religious beliefs). All visitors coming onsite to a CZI facility are required to show proof of COVID vaccination, including eligible booster(s), or take an onsite COVID test.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-11