Communications Manager Senior
Purpose of Job
We are looking for a Senior Communications Manager who will report to the San Antonio Corporate Office or 100% remote work environment available.
Communication Managers lead and oversee strategic communications planning and implementation for enterprise-level communications through public relations, media communications, employee communication, and reputation and influencer network programs. Counsels and supports senior leadership with communications directives, executive positioning, and public relations activities related to reputation, crises, and issues management. Ensures communications plans, strategies, and/or tactics support business and enterprise goals.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
USAA Careers – World Class Benefits (31 seconds)
- Provides regular counsel and insight to senior management, subject-matter experts, and unit staff to develop complex effective communication strategies and tactics in support of enterprise strategic initiatives.
- Prioritizes complex communication projects and ensures they support enterprise plans for employee, member, and public initiatives. Serves as a key influencer and integrator of strategic objectives across the enterprise.
- Creates strategies that employ communications tactics such as press outreach, online advocacy, social networking internal and external social channels, leadership, and other internal and external communication channels, and , publications. Assist to measure the effectiveness of communications strategies to ensure objectives are met.
- Develops and implements complex communications plans in support of business objectives and collaborates with colleagues to support positive business outcomes, protect and enhance USAA’s reputation, and engage the company’s workforce.
- Develops, manages and executes effective messaging, collateral, processes and strategies in support of business initiatives; craft key messaging for use with federal and local regulators .
- Partners with various teams within the Marketing & Communications Organization (e.g. Social Business, Content Strategy & Development) and with key enterprise partners in the development of collateral to be used across all mediums, including print, web, email, video, and social media to help deliver the messages on the identified channels.
- Maintains a command of USAA strategies and possesses in-depth knowledge of financial services industry issues and trends, and actively seekings to link those issues to ongoing or emerging employee, member and/or public communications opportunities.
- In support of public affairs, leads and/or partners in the development and implementation of all communications to include crisis management, legislative, regulatory and litigation communications. Manages message development and builds relationships with third-party groups.
- Develops and manages grassroots communications with influential groups. Develops relationships with the news media to leverage USAA’s reputation.
- In support of social media, partners with the Social Business team to plans, directs, and executes USAA’s social media strategy to protect, sustain, and enhance USAA’s reputation .
- Mentors junior team members.
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or a related degree required.
- 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 6 or more years of progressively responsible experience in internal and/or external communications (including employee communications), preferably within the financial services industry to include media relations experience working with media outlets at national, regional or local levels.
- Advanced writing and editing skills and excellent verbal communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of the function/discipline and demonstrated application of knowledge, skills and abilities towards work products required.
- Advanced level in communication industry practices and emerging trends required.
- Experience in translating business objectives into integrated communication strategies and tactics that drive business performance.
- Advanced level project management and collaboration experience.
- General understanding of Legal, Political or Governmental processes
- Providing communications advice and counsel to various business partners
- Ability to manage and work in cross functional teams on a day to day basis and drive decisions
- Experience managing processes
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this position is: $88,200 – $158,900*( this does not include geographic differential it may be applied based on your work location)
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
*Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-10