Communications and Marketing Coordinator
HOLA provides underserved youth with free, exceptional programs in academics, arts and athletics within a nurturing environment, empowering them to develop their potential, pursue their education and strengthen their communities.
Core Values: Respect, Responsibility, Positive Communication and Support.
The Communications and Marketing Coordinator will be responsible for executing Heart of Los Angeles’ communications efforts, in coordination with the Senior Director of Development and individual giving team. This key position will be responsible for telling the organization’s story, maintaining HOLA’s brand and strengthening our public image through content creation, digital communications, online and print marketing, media opportunities and public relations efforts. The Communications and Marketing Coordinator will maintain a strategic communications calendar, will stay abreast of organizational and programmatic activities and will have an intuitive understanding of how and when to present to HOLA’s various stakeholders/audiences. The ideal candidate will be a storyteller who can think strategically about the voice, timing and method of communications touches, employs a strengths-based communications approach and has a passion for education and youth services.
Position will be remote due to COVID 19
- Develop a detailed annual communications calendar that includes fundraising, programmatic and other inputs as well as deliverables.
- Execute all external communications, including creating e-newsletters, marketing materials, online articles/blog posts, HOLA’s website, and social media.
- Support Individual Giving and Events Manager on fundraising appeals including summer and year-end campaigns.
- Nurture and grow HOLA’s existing social media communities, including regularly sourcing and posting relevant content on platforms including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, and investigating new social media platforms as they become available.
- Maintain, grow and cultivate HOLA’s media contact list; pitch stories about HOLA programs, events and initiatives.
- Draft and submit press releases.
- Collaborate with Individual Giving and Events Manager on communications for HOLA’s annual fundraising events, including invitation and pre-event materials, night-of branding, scripting, press, and post-event coverage.
- Support third-party and other events including marketing materials and other collateral.
- Coordinate media opportunities for HOLA staff and students, including vetting opportunities, coordinating filming/etc., ensuring opportunity is aligned with HOLA’s values, image and policies, and prepping and staffing HOLA spokesperson.
- Provide photos, articles, social media posts, etc., to the grants team as needed to support applications and reporting.
- Provide general support to the Development and Communications department as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent experience (BA in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or Marketing preferred).
- 2+ years relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability to produce timely and impactful content.
- Knowledge and experience managing social media platforms and performance metrics (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn).
- An eye for design, ability to create simple graphics and experience creating marketing materials.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to use strengths-based communications approach, and to promote the values of equity and inclusion in HOLA’s work.
- Ability to structure tasks, establish priorities and set goals; flexibility and the ability to multitask, reprioritize and problem solve in a fast-moving environment.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The building environment does not provide air conditioning and heat in all areas. Outdoor work is expected in some cases.
Permission to Photograph
I give my consent for photographs, video or any other medium to be taken of me at HOLA’s discretion. HOLA has the right to reproduce, distribute, sell, transmit, publish, exhibit or otherwise use any and all photographs, video or other materials in which I may appear, or any portion thereof, on any platforms it uses now or will use in the future.
Understanding of At Will employment status
I understand and agree that my employment with Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA) is at-will, and can be terminated with or without cause or notice by either Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA) or myself. I also understand that no supervisor or any employee of Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA) has the authority to enter into any agreement for employment for any specified period of time or to make any agreement contrary to the at-will relationship described above. The at-will relationship will remain in effect throughout my employment with Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA)
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-09