Communications and Marketing Director
Job Title: Communications and Marketing Director
Location: New York City (currently remote due to pandemic)
Organizational overview: Waterkeeper Alliance is a global movement uniting more than 300 Waterkeeper groups around the world, focusing citizen action on issues that affect our waterways, from pollution to climate change. Waterkeepers patrol and protect more than 2.8 million square miles of rivers, lakes and coastlines in Africa, Asia, Australia, the Americas, and Europe. For more information please visit: waterkeeper.org.
Position Summary: The Communications and Marketing Director works with senior leadership and department staff to plan and execute all communications and marketing efforts for Waterkeeper Alliance. The Director will focus on devising, implementing, executing, and measuring Waterkeeper Alliance’s internal and external communications channels and marketing initiatives while ensuring consistent, high-quality branding, and content organization-wide. This position requires some travel and reports to the Deputy Director.
The Communications and Marketing Director aims to communicate, educate, and advocate to empower people to become protectors of the waters in their communities and around the world. The Director embraces Waterkeeper Alliance’s vision for swimmable, drinkable, fishable waters and amplifies the work of Waterkeeper groups worldwide.
- Design and implement sophisticated communications and marketing strategies to ensure consistent, high quality, engaging messaging both internally and externally;
- Provide leadership and oversight to Communications & Marketing Team and relevant vendors, including digital and public relations agencies;
- Develop and implement digital strategies with the goal of expanding audience reach and deepening engagement with the organization;
- Develop and implement public outreach and media relations strategies, including securing earned media, to advance Waterkeeper Alliance’s advocacy and enhance its visibility, image, and influence;
- Ensure all communications produced by Waterkeeper Alliance are professional, engaging, well written, and appropriate for target audiences;
- Work in partnership with the staff and other stakeholders to represent Waterkeeper Alliance with key external relationships including donors and corporate partners;
- Support senior leaders to be effective spokespeople for the Waterkeeper movement through thought leadership strategy development;
- Partner with the Development Team to ensure fundraising messages are engaging and consistent with key advocacy priorities;
- Work with event vendors to ensure consistent messaging and branding at all fundraising events;
- Ensure all communications and marketing key performance indicators meet or exceed industry benchmarks;
- Develop and manage department projects, budgets, and staffing needs; and,
- Participate in staff meetings, board meetings, and other organizational activities, as needed.
- Ten or more years of professional work experience in the areas of communications and/or marketing; nonprofit or agency experience preferred;
- Experience managing communications and marketing functions such as messaging, brand management, print collateral, digital media, press relations, website development, and CRM management;
- Exceptional track record working effectively with the media, including demonstrated success in pitching and placing news articles, profiles, and opinion pieces in local and national newspapers, TV, radio, website and social media platforms;
- Effective project management skills and attention to detail;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with diverse constituents including staff, board members, and supporters;
- Proven skill in creating and implementing communications and marketing plans, including strategies for immediate and long-term growth and budget development;
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask;
- Experience supervising staff, consultants, and vendors managing diverse activities under critical deadlines and budgets;
- Keen understanding of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) within an organization, across initiatives, and through navigating complex interpersonal relationships;
- Passion for Waterkeeper Alliance’s mission; and
- A positive attitude and sense of humor.
Job type: Full-time
Culture & Benefits: Our staff and Waterkeepers are the heart of our mission, and we are committed to pursuing the principles of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) as we move forward to a more equal and just future as an organization. We aim to create and sustain a workforce that reflects the hundreds of global communities we strive to protect in our fight for clean water, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply to join our team!
We offer a competitive industry salary, excellent benefits including 15 vacation days and paid parental leave, work from home opportunities, and a healthy work-life balance to all members of our team.
Start Date: ASAP. This position will remain open until filled.
Applications: Send resume, one original writing sample, and a cover letter to email@example.com with subject line “2021 Communications and Marketing Director.” Please note that applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for this position. No phone calls, please.
Waterkeeper Alliance is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Job posted: 2021-05-25