Communications and Marketing Manager
The Alliance for Health Policy (“Alliance”) seeks a creative, self-motivated individual to join our team as the Communications and Marketing Manager. This hire is responsible for developing and sharing the Alliance’s key messages and programs to audiences both inside and outside of the Beltway.
The Communications and Marketing Manager reports to the Director of External Affairs and plays a vital role in advancing the Alliance’s mission of informing solutions for improving health care in the United States by bringing together policymakers and health leaders in nonpartisan forums.
Candidates must be able to both develop and implement effective digital communications strategies and have a broad understanding of health policy themes. The ideal candidate will bring significant experience and be prepared to elevate the Alliance’s communications and marketing activities.
The Communications and Marketing Manager will promote and expand the Alliance for Health Policy’s reach and impact. The role will be responsible for overall implementation of the Alliance’s digital communication objectives, including email marketing, website management, and targeted communications to key audiences, including legislative staff, federal support agencies, industry stakeholders, journalists, and other policymakers.
The Communications and Marketing Manager’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement the Alliance’s communications strategy;
- Plan, draft, and execute email, social media, and other marketing campaigns;
- Manage audience recruitment for Alliance events ranging from small discussions for Members of Congress to public 400-person half-day summits by using an integrated strategy of email marketing and targeted outreach to the Alliance’s audience;
- Maintain and manage the Alliance’s Constant Contact audience database;
- Maintain and improve allhealthpolicy.org WordPress site to best serve the needs of our audience and the delivery of our materials and programs;
- Produce and evaluate analytics on communications and program engagement to facilitate continuous improvement and to support grant reporting;
- Write and publish website content, email announcements, press releases and other digital media to support and showcase the work of the Alliance;
- Manage Alliance social media;
- Update and maintain health policy journalist contact list, conduct outreach to Washington and national media outlets for Alliance programs, managing press inquiries, and track media mentions;
- Create compelling narratives and support organizational branding efforts.
Skills and Expertise
This individual is a self-starter and highly motivated with meticulous attention to detail and a policy savvy communication style that will allow this individual to clearly convey complex health policy issues to the public. The ideal candidate is well equipped to elevate Alliance communications, manage multiple projects, work seamlessly between teams, and have great follow-through on assignments and deadlines.
- Demonstrated skills and experience with communications and policy writing, preferably with experience in nonprofits, associations, health care businesses, federal relations, or other related work;
- A relevant bachelor’s degree or greater in communications, health policy, political science, or other relevant subject;
- Experience with WordPress and Constant Contact or other CMS and email platforms;
- Familiarity and experience with managing social media channels;
- Ability to synthesize and communicate complex health policy issues in clear and concise prose and in a nonpartisan manner;
- Ability to work autonomously, as part of a small team, and with a range of external stakeholders;
- Professionalism, efficiency, and demonstrated commitment to consistently high-quality, thorough work;
- Self-starter with the ability to learn quickly and move in a fast-paced work environment;
- Excellent writing and editing skills; and
- Support for the Alliance’s nonpartisan mission and a passion for learning.
- Background in health policy;
- Website editing and content creation experience in WordPress, SquareSpace, or similar web hosting platforms;
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS and web analytics; and
- Experience working directly with Congressional offices including staff members and Members.
The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time position in Washington, D.C. Competitive salary commensurate with experience. The Alliance for Health Policy offers an outstanding benefits package, including:
- Platinum level medical insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance with 80% employer-paid premium subsidy
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement plan contribution match up to 10% of salary
- Company provided life and long-term disability insurance
- Paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
About the Alliance
For almost 30 years, the Alliance for Health Policy has served as a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping policymakers and the public better understand health policy, the root of the nation’s health care issues, and the trade-offs posed by various proposals for change. We believe a better health care system begins with a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives. Regardless of their point of view, our audience recognizes the Alliance’s reputation as a well-respected source for unbiased health policy information. We conduct ~40 live events and convenings per year for audiences ranging from new congressional staff to seasoned policy experts and media, in addition to maintaining an active schedule of policy development, policymaker outreach, and stakeholder engagement.
Our mission: To inform solutions for improving health care in the United States by bringing together policymakers and health leaders in nonpartisan forums. We advance learning and dialogue about fundamental and emerging health care issues and the tradeoffs posed by proposals for change.
Our vision: A better health care system achieved through a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives.
Job posted: 2020-04-22