Communications and Marketing Manager
The Center for Mind-Body Medicine, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization located in Washington, DC, has been a pioneer in the movement to make self-care, self-awareness, and mutual support fundamental to healthy living and to population-wide trauma healing in the U.S. and in devastated areas around the world. Individuals, institutions, communities and countries have been transformed by using the Center’s model. Currently, our work is expanding exponentially. Please visit www.cmbm.org for additional information.
We have just recently completed a brand refresh, launched a new website, published a well-reviewed book, and initiated a vibrant global digital presence through webinars and other platforms. This position is accountable for a measurable increase in share of voice and brand currency during a time of organization growth and extraordinary possibility.
Our organization is rich with content, purpose, and cultural relevance. We seek a full-time Communications and Marketing Manager to implement consistent, intentional, and savvy communication tactics across all platforms. Our ideal candidate has experience in advocacy and/or consumer-facing outreach. We are looking for someone who is tactical and enjoys pursuing multiple projects, who has the sensitivity to appreciate and honor and share simple storytelling, and who has a dedication to coalition-building. Expertise in working with a wide range of communities and audiences is essential. Qualities we’re looking for are a respect for differences, flexibility, creativity, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
Guided by topline messaging from the organization’s founder and Executive Director and the Managing Director, the Communications and Marketing Manager will be responsible for intelligently assessing the organization’s tangible and intangible assets (i.e., the human capital of the remarkable CMBM staff and team, photo archives, institutional memory, educational materials and proprietary intellectual property, the library of germinal works and academic studies published by the Executive Director, the many strategic alliances and coalition partners nurtured over the years, the up-to-the minute relevance of trauma-healing expertise in a time of COVID-19) and then leveraging these assets into the execution of clear, smart campaigns that support the Managing Director’s directional strategy.
This position reports to the Managing Director and works closely with others in primarily externally-facing positions on the team, including the directors of development, digital communications, and public affairs, and program managers who will liaise as needed.
- Implement the topline directional strategy set by the organization’s leadership.
- Conduct an audit of CMBM’s foundational communications pieces to leverage and then implement clear and timely campaigns.
- Craft an editorial calendar to include all activities, outreach, events, and initiatives.
- Establish and maintain a consistent look and feel through imagery and language in support of the CMBM message and identity that reflect topline strategy goals provided by CMBM leadership.
- Responsibility for CMBM’s social media accounts with support from a part-time communications research associate.
- Oversee the CMBM website and updates in collaboration with the digital communications director.
- Provide, devise, and implement marketing plans and tactics for CMBM’s professional programs to increase program attendance and participant engagement. Will liaise with program managers as needed.
- Produce a wide range of communication materials, including electronic and hard copy collateral, website content, annual reports, newsletters, etc.
- Work closely with the CMBM development team to create donor stewardship materials.
- Produce virtual gatherings, online training programs, and webinars as part of CMBM programming in conjunction with the digital communications director.
- Manage consultants, budgets, and agreements for website, webinars, design, special events.
- Engage in building teams, managing teams, and collaborating with all departments within the organization.
- Collaborate on internal projects and fulfill other duties necessary and as needed for the success of the organization.
Experience and Competencies Required
- Minimum of six years direct experience in the use of communication and marketing strategies to build share of voice and drive numbers.
- Demonstrated ability in the full range of strategic communication tactics: social marketing, media and public relations, issue framing and message development.
- Excellent persuasive and inspirational verbal and written communication skills. Other languages are a plus.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience working with key influencers, organizations and media outlets at the local, state, and/or national and international levels a plus.
- Strong management experience required, with a high degree of comfort in leading team members through the complete campaign process from inception to execution.
- Lively, literate writing style.
- Eye for design.
- Consumer brand experience a plus.
- Campaign experience a plus.
- Editorial background a plus.
- Demonstrated project management experience essential.
- Organized and deadline oriented.
- Passionate content creator and storyteller.
- Ability to be a team player and practice team-oriented problem solving.
- Experience with digital design tools to create digital and print collateral.
- Experience with email marketing publishing tools, Salesforce, and social media publishing platforms preferred.
- Experience with online learning management systems preferred.
- Strong work ethic.
- A capacity to celebrate one’s work and to enjoy collaborating with other committed and creative people.
- Negotiable depending on experience and commensurate with the organization’s salary structure.
- 3 weeks of paid annual vacation (accrued at a rate of 4.61 hours per pay period)
- 5 days of paid sick leave (accrued at a rate of 1.54 hours per pay period)
- Health and dental insurance
- Optional 401K plan (you are eligible to participate after your first month. Note that CMBM does not contribute to 401K plans)
- Smart Benefits Plan with Washington DC Metro
The Center for Mind-Body Medicine is an equal opportunity employer. For more information visit www.cmbm.org.
Job posted: 2020-05-21