Communications & Marketing Manager
Salary: $58,000 – $69,000 /yr. DOE. + Excellent non-profit benefits.
Location: Sacramento, CA
Description: Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Communications & Marketing Manager will develop and implement communications strategies with CFILC’s partners (CFILC Members, the Independent Living Network, Assistive Technology (AT) Centers, AT Reuse organizations, Device Lending Demonstration Centers, Aging and Disability Resource Centers, Area Agencies on Aging, Health, Education and Government Professionals, disability rights organizations as well as Public and Private Funders). The Director’s responsibilities will also include managing two staff in an effort to assist and promote a positive public image among CFILC’s various audiences and to advance CFILC’s efforts to support our programs.
This position will include regular collaboration with others in the organizations and coalitions to achieve brand consistency, coordination of messages, and the highest standards for external communications. The Communications & Marketing Director is responsible for leading and coordinating organization-wide design, messaging, and content generation, including online electronic and print communications, program collateral, press releases, fact sheets, newsletters, blogs, social media posts, and web content.
One of the most crucial tasks of the Communications & Marketing Manager will be ensuring that a positive disability cultural perspective is embedded in all communications, and that communications are accessible to people across all types of disabilities.
Occasional travel within the state of California is required. This regular exempt, full-time position is based in Sacramento, California.
About California Foundation for Independent Living Centers (CFILC)
The California Foundation for Independent Living Centers (CFILC) is a statewide disability organization that administers programs and serves as a membership association that connects California’s Independent Living Network.
The mission of CFILC is to increase access and equal opportunity for people with disabilities by building the capacity of Independent Living Centers (ILCs).
Communications & Marketing:
• Develop and manage the creation, production and dissemination of electronic and printed publications such as program and organizational reports, newsletters, blogs, fact sheets, infographics, website content, etc., with the support of communications team;
• Organize and manage creation and selection of photography for print and electronic communications;
• Lead the development and execution of identity and collateral materials for major organizational initiatives of programs and projects;
• Create and coordinate production schedule and maintain an going relationships with internal and external program and project colleagues;
• Ensure positive disability culturally appropriate language and Independent Living Philosophy messaging through imagery and communications;
• Write and coordinate writers for blogs, newsletters and other CFILC publications to promote the organizations mission;
• Assist in increasing and maintaining program membership databases;
• Write, develop and market hashtags, flyers, tip sheets, campaigns, reports, event publications;
• Work with executive director, management team and communications team to maintain messaging consistency and ongoing website content including regular updates and redesigns;
• Lead reoccurring meetings with CFILC staff regarding organization, program and project updates on communications, messaging, strategies and timelines; and
• Multitask between meeting communication and marketing expectations while supervising staff.
• Maintain CFILC and program social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WordPress, YouTube and Pinterest;
• Develop and coordinate social media appropriate content by program or event;
• Ensure consistency of messaging across social media and websites;
• Track and record social media statistics regularly;
• Provide training in-person and virtually on social media platform benefits, how to use them and how to make content accessible for people with a wide variety of disabilities when posting; and
• Increase social media followers, readers and “likes.”
• Mentor, manage and supervise members of the CFILC communications team;
• Provide clear instruction and structure to CFILC communication staff using interpersonal skills as well as project management software;
• Steller verbal and written supervisory skills that include fostering a positive team and work environment while also having the ability to take action when staff is unable to meet their job performance responsibilities;
• Work with a management team to maintain, develop and review organization policies;
• Ability to work with staff one-on-one and in small groups while maintaining management and supervisory role; and
• Assist management team in developing new partnerships and collaborations that support and move CFILC’s mission, programs and projects forward.
• Lead in the development and coordination of annual organization and program reports;
• Provide regular marking and communications statistics for monthly, quarterly and annual reports;
• Track and document marketing and communication activities using project management software;
• Assist in developing reports for members, funders and event sponsors.
Required Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of two years in the communications/marking field OR eight years of strong communications/marketing work experience in a disability-serving organization;
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability desired. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
• Ability to initiate projects, setup structure and work with minimal direction and supervision;
• Stellar English writing skills;
• Comfortable giving presentations, providing trainings and public speaking;
• Ability to organize and prioritize competing demands and handle multiple deadlines;
• Strong organizational skills and extreme attention to detail;
• Experience in communicating effectively with a wide range of people and communities;
• Ability to effectively lead and manage social media for communications and marketing purposes;
• Must be able to maintain confidentiality and be a role model for others;
• Possess high-level computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and graphic design programs and software;
• Ability to research, write reports and meet deadlines;
• Availability to work flexible hours on occasion, including some evenings and weekends;
• Ability to arrange and maintain necessary transportation throughout employment;
• Knowledge of accessible documents, accessibility standards, and relevant applications; and
• Experience working with underserved communities.
• Bilingual English/Spanish/Cantonese
• American Sign Language
• Personal experience with disabilities
WORK (OFFICE) ENVIRONMENT:
The noise level of the office is low to medium and work is in an office environment and mostly indoors.
Moderate – High (Depending on time of year and deadlines)
CFILC is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. CFILC provides reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position. Please notify us if you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process.
How to Apply
Applicants must email a cover letter and resume to:
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line Title: Communications & Marketing Manager
No phone calls or faxes will be accepted.
Job posted: 2020-07-06