Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Position Title: Communications Manager
Reports To: Director of Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust (“Helmsley”) is a global philanthropy driven by a vision of a world where everyone has the resources they need to thrive by increasing access to healthcare, advancing new research and ideas, and improving people’s quality of life no matter where they call home. Helmsley strives to make a meaningful impact in its focus areas, matching its significant financial assets with a rigorous and results-oriented approach. Helmsley is committed to close and productive partnerships with its grantees, as well as with other funders and impact players in government, academia, and the private sector who share its interests and goals. Above all, Helmsley endeavors to be forward-thinking in every aspect of its work and will take risks that others cannot or will not take when the risk/reward trade-off warrants.
Since 2008, when Helmsley began its active grantmaking, it has committed more than $3 billion. For more information on Helmsley, please visit www.helmsleytrust.org.
The Communications Officer will report to the Director of Communications and work closely with Helmsley’s place-based programs, which include Rural Healthcare, Vulnerable Children in Sub-Saharan Africa, Israel, and New York City; as well as with grantees, to support strategic communications, thought leadership, and public affairs needs. The position requires a proactive, strategic, and detail-oriented team player with excellent writing skills. We seek an individual with the confidence, curiosity, and humility to ask questions, seek clarity when necessary, and share ideas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Write compelling, accurate, journalistic content capturing a range of expert voices and topics. Collaborate with staff and grantees to understand their ideas, and reflect them concisely in case studies, written insights, visual and/or narrative stories, essays, op-eds, web content, and other substantive content as appropriate to advance our mission and goals. May include longer reports and publications from time to time.
- Draft and/or edit press releases, messaging documents, social media content, website content, and other communications collateral.
- Generate and share ideas to promote the work of programs.
- Proactively plan, create, and disseminate content in support of activities such as press events, or for newsletters.
- Understand the communication needs of Helmsley’s place-based programs by staying abreast of grantmaking and major developments in each program’s sector to ensure appropriate representation and positioning.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Helmsley’s communication strategy, including collaborating to create multimedia content that reflects and advances the mission.
- Contribute to the development and execution of an editorial calendar across all Helmsley channels.
- Represent Helmsley in a polished and professional manner at all times.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; advanced degree in public policy, international affairs, or public health preferred.
- Exceptional writing, grammar, proofreading, and editing skills
- At least five years of experience in a communications/PR/writing role, preferably within a foundation, nonprofit, or government setting.
- Agency experience strongly preferred.
- Deep understanding of, and ideally lived experience in, one or more of the geographies supported by our place-based programs highly desirable.
- Expertise in content strategy and message development.
- Proven track record of developing and delivering strategic communications initiatives.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Prior experience managing a small team preferred.
- Deep knowledge of and experience with social media platforms.
- Attention to detail, organizational skills, and strong work ethic.
- Experience with WordPress a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage vendors and hold them to budgets and timelines.
- Comfort working independently and across teams, with strong project management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and collaborative, client-service mindset.
Health, Well-being, and Living Our Mission
Helmsley is dedicated to creating stronger, healthier futures for communities in the U.S. and around the world. Our departments and grantmaking programs are comprised of subject matter experts from a range of backgrounds in basic science, global health, and precision medicine, as well as the private sector and public policy.
Helmsley colleagues are intelligent, creative, forward thinking, and strongly committed to working productively with our grantee partners. Each was drawn to Helmsley by the same opportunity: to help build this young organization into a leading global charitable institution that will drive meaningful and measurable positive change in lives throughout the U.S. and around the world for years to come.
Comprehensive benefits currently offered to employees (subject to change) include:
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision for employees and their families
- Generous 401(k) employer contribution
- 23+ paid vacation and sick days
- 13+ paid holidays
- End of year office closure
- Summer Fridays
- Tuition reimbursement
- Personal and team professional development opportunities
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume (in Word or PDF format), via the link https://helmsleytrust.org/about/#careers-section.
The position is based at Helmsley’s main office in New York City. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Except for when working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ability to work and collaborate in person with colleagues at Helmsley’s office is an essential function of this job. To protect the health and safety of our employees, and consistent with Helmsley’s mandatory vaccination policy, all new hires (except those granted reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable law) are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before their start date.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Helmsley provides equal employment and promotional opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
Job posted: 2022-05-07