Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Communications Officer, Public Affairs
The UN Foundation’s award-winning Public Affairs team is seeking a savvy, talented writer with creative editorial range.
The Communications Officer will have superior, hands-on writing skills, and be able to work across multiple formats — from feature stories to blog posts, emails to presentations and proposals, web content to marketing materials.
They will have enthusiasm for international affairs, and public policy issues, and be energized by the opportunity to distill technical, complex content to reach and educate a variety of audiences — from the policy-savvy to policymakers, to a more general audience concerned about global affairs and cooperation.
This position is based in Washington, D.C. (Hybrid schedule)
- Write, edit, and produce for a wide range of content formats – including blog posts, emails, newsletters, website content, messaging press content, and marketing materials
- Build and maintain relationships with subject matter experts to shape and create content on climate change, gender equality, multilateralism, and/or human rights for multiple audiences
- Identify and expertly curate and tell stories to build awareness and inspire audiences to take action
- Proofread and thoughtfully copyedit technical content on any of the above thematic areas
- Proactively pitch and present ideas for engaging, thumb-stopping content across UN Foundation platforms
- Support the timely review, editing, and approval of content
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Political Science, Communications, or International Affairs
- Minimum 4 years of proven experience writing for various content formats; including 2 years of experience working on climate change, gender equality, multilateralism, and/or human rights issues preferred
- Outstanding news judgment
- Strong understanding of digital content writing
- Able to partner with issue experts, senior leaders, designers, producers, etc.
- Comfort with complex projects, fast-paced timelines, and working with multiple collaborators and stakeholders
- Ability to maintain a consistent editorial voice and follow Style Guides.
- Up to 10% domestic/international travel may be required
- Must be able to provide verifiable/bylined writing samples
- A writing test is part of the recruitment process for this role
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Job posted: 2022-09-13