Communications Officer / Senior Communications Officer
Are you concerned about the growing power that digital platforms and telecommunications companies have over people’s lives? Do you believe that corporations as well as governments have a responsibility to respect human rights? Do you enjoy the challenge of making complex ideas accessible to funders, policymakers, journalists, advocates, and the general public alike? If so, Ranking Digital Rights (RDR) encourages you to apply to become our Communications Officer/Senior Communications Officer.
RDR (see rankingdigitalrights.org) is a research initiative housed at the Open Technology Institute at New America, a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy institute based in Washington, D.C. Since 2015, RDR has ranked the world’s most powerful digital platforms and telecommunications companies on their policies and practices affecting users’ freedom of expression and privacy in its annual RDR Corporate Accountability Index. RDR operates as a remote team, with staff working from D.C., New York, Berlin, and Budapest. For more about the project please see our website at https://rankingdigitalrights.org.
RDR seeks a Communications Officer or Senior Communications Officer with at least four years of experience and can demonstrate progressive communications responsibilities. The ideal candidate should have a proven track record in communications for a research organization or a human rights nonprofit, or a related field. They will have versatile writing skills and be comfortable leveraging social media to support our external and donor communications efforts.
They will spend about two-thirds of their time on external communications and one-third of their time on proposal writing and donor reporting. They will also work with senior staff to develop and execute campaigns to support the launch of RDR’s research products, such as the RDR Corporate Accountability Index and our growing body of policy publications. The Communications Officer/Senior Communications Officer will also be encouraged to develop creative, measurable approaches to raising the visibility of RDR’s policy work and growing team of experts among key target audiences, including policymakers.
This team member will communicate RDR’s work to multiple stakeholder audiences, including donors, via multiple media channels. They will also lead a range of communications-related operations, including monitoring analytics and coordinating events and webinars with New America’s communications team. They will work closely with all members of the RDR team to ensure that all RDR’s work engages the audiences best positioned to shape internet policy that protects and respects human rights at this critical time.
- Support RDR’s external communications across a variety of channels and publications, including drafting blogposts, newsletter items, and press releases to promote RDR’s work, including among journalists;
- Develop and implement strategies for RDR’s social media accounts (Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook) and maintain them accordingly;
- Work with senior staff to prepare fundraising proposals and donor reports;
- Maintain both RDR’s website and its presence on the New America website, including by drafting and publishing web copy;
- Develop and run digital campaigns to promote RDR research products;
- Liaise with New America on RDR’s editorial production and communications needs, including the coordination of events and webinars;
- Monitor media and campaign analytics and media hits on a monthly basis;
- Maintain and update RDR’s contact lists for newsletter and report distribution;
- Ensure RDR’s brand integrity across all communications.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent education or experience, journalism or public relations and marketing experience strongly preferred;
- Strong narrative writing skills and able to synthesize longer texts for social media-length posts;
- Experience managing and monitoring social media accounts for an organization;
- Ability to take initiative and to collaborate and communicate effectively in a remote team;
- Excellent time-management skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines;
- Detail-oriented and organized, with ability to creatively problem solve under pressure and anticipate needs;
- Familiarity with collaborative platforms for scheduling, document sharing, and task management;
- Experience working with WordPress, HTML, and other online publishing applications preferred;
- Design and print or web layout experience preferred;
- Demonstrated interest in the intersection of technology with human rights and civil rights, including online freedom of expression and privacy, highly preferred;
- Fluency in a language other than English a plus;
- Experience managing interns or working with contractors and freelancers also a plus.
Salary range begins at $60,000, and, along with the title, is negotiable for more candidates with more experience. In addition, our compensation packages include generous health and retirement benefits and paid time off.
RDR operates as a distributed team, with some staff based at New America in Washington, D.C., while other staff and contractors work from other locations around the world. We will consider applications from candidates based anywhere but prefer candidates who can overlap with a 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. day UTC -5 (Eastern Standard Time) for at least four hours a day.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three writing samples. The writing samples should demonstrate proficiency in two different genres of writing, e.g., social media, newsletter, blogpost, how-to or explanatory article, news article, op-ed, etc. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please submit your application through the New America portal.
Please No Phone Calls, No Emails
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-26