Communications & Outreach Director
NC Counts Coalition is a nonpartisan, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization committed to building a healthy, just, and equitable North Carolina through cross-sector partnerships that advance systemic solutions for communities facing systemic barriers, including BIPOC, LGBTQ+, low wealth, immigrant, indigenous and other communities.
The Communications & Outreach Director is responsible for managing NC Counts Coalition’s external communications, including traditional media, public relations, and digital communications. This role leads the development and implementation of communication strategies for all NC Counts Coalition programs and campaigns to build public awareness of and favorability toward the organization’s external goals and increase the organization’s exposure to target audiences, including the public, media, and public officials.
Communication Strategy and Leadership
- Develop organization voice and maintain organizational integrity across all platforms
- Work collaboratively with program staff to develop and implement communications strategies that amplify the organization’s programmatic goals
- Lead and develop strategy for a communications team
- Serve as a communications liaison and spokesperson to partner organizations, coalitions, and collaborative formations
- Working with staff, design and implement effective strategies targeted to NC Counts Coalition constituencies to keep them informed and engaged in the organization.
Messaging and Media Relations
- Test, develop, and disseminate sound messaging to advance organizational goals through all NC Counts Coalition communications content and publications, translating subject-matter research and analysis into digestible messages and information.
- Building and managing relationships with press and overseeing the drafting and editing press materials. Developing contacts with media members, influencers, and community leaders.
Digital Management and Public Education
- Coordinate with staff, Board, and partners to generate compelling and timely content for and manage the NC Counts Coalition social media outreach including Facebook, website, blog, e-blasts, Twitter and Instagram.
- Oversee digital campaign tools, including metrics and evaluations, train staff and partners on digital and offline communications engagement.
- Collaborate to develop multimedia public education campaigns that align with internal and external goals, supervising the production of print education materials.
Organizational Leadership and Support
- Participate in meetings and other processes as an active member of the organization’s staff leadership team.
- Oversee the maintenance of an internal web-based resource that centralizes information on programmatic activities (e.g., talking points, planning documents produced by program teams).
- Coaches and directs communications staff to develop their skills and foster continuous learning in their respective roles.
QUALIFICATIONS – EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- A Strong leadership track record and the ability to direct and manage a team of direct reports
- Senior-level experience (5-7+ years, including management experience) working in an interdisciplinary organization with organizing and policy staff 2
- Experience (lived or professional) connecting with BIPOC populations, sensitivity to diverse populations and the ability to build inclusive and equitable working environments where differences are uplifted, appreciated and engaged
- Impeccable copywriting and copy-editing abilities and excellent verbal and written communications skills with a keen eye for digital and print design and presentation
- Awareness of race and other identities that intersect our work and the ability to communicate/message to all groups, particularly those who are consistently marginalized in our society
- Must be detail oriented, well-organized, and able to prioritize assignments and workload
- Excellent relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, and community partners. Candidates must be flexible and collaborative with ability to build effective working relationships inside and outside the organization
- Reliability: consistently doing what you say, when you say you will do it
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in leveraging and proactively building relationships with diverse audiences
- Ability to give and receive feedback; ability to hear and process constructive criticism and learn from mistakes
- Creativity, flexibility, and initiative are highly valued
- Flexible to work early mornings, evenings and weekends; ability to travel as needed
- Comfortable with technology: able to use virtual meeting platforms, texting and email to communicate; familiarity with Microsoft Office applications including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Enthusiastic to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Supportive of the mission of the N.C. Counts Coalition. Our team believes in the work we do, and we are committed to results; the ideal candidate will have a ‘can do’ attitude and be a champion of fun. A team player who supports the idea that the team that works hard should play hard.
- Committed to building an inclusive and diverse work environment that celebrates and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstances.
- Experience and comfort with public speaking preferred
- Knowledge of CRM database software strongly desired 3
- Experience in the non-profit environment
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
We are looking for talented people with diverse backgrounds and shared experiences with the communities our organization serves, who are inspired by our mission, and who are highly motivated to dismantle systemic racism and inequities and build an equitable North Carolina. You’ll be an amazing fit with NC Counts Coalification if your passion for justice and equity drives your work, you enjoy cultivating strong relationships and elevating yourself, your work, and the people around you to the next level.
We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet each one of our qualifications as described below.Employment Application
We will begin reviewing applications immediately and will continue until the position is filled. We anticipate a start date in September 2021. We will be conducting 3 rounds of interviews: An initial phone interview and 2 rounds of Zoom interviews.
NC Counts Coalition is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We have an unwavering commitment to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to involve all those who can contribute to our inclusive culture. We actively seek representation of employees who reflect the makeup of the communities most impacted by the issue we are fighting for, health equity. This includes, but is not limited to, class, race, ethnicity, religion/spirituality, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, immigration status, sexual orientation, history of incarceration, and military status. Persons with disabilities may request accommodations.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit to this link: http://bit.ly/NCCounts
- A resumé
- 3 professional references. At least one reference should be of a prior supervisor (direct supervision) and at least one of a prior work colleague.
- A persuasive cover letter (no more than 2 pages) that answers the following questions:
- Why do you want to work with NC Counts Coalition?
- What makes you uniquely qualified for this role?
- How do you define racial equity?
- To what extent has pursuing racial equity and inclusion been a priority in your work?
- How did you approach it?
- What are your shared lived experiences with BIPOC communities?
Job posted: 2021-09-06