Communications and Outreach Manager
WaterNow Alliance is a network of water utility leaders interested in jumpstarting sustainable water solutions in their communities. We focus on innovative strategies to accelerate adoption of reuse and efficiency technologies, green infrastructure, watershed health, stormwater recapture and groundwater management. Our Mission is to achieve high impact, widespread adoption of sustainable water solutions in communities compatible with a healthy environment for the future.
Position: Communications & Outreach Manager
WaterNow is seeking a skilled communications generalist with a reputation for building brand visibility and a strong background in engagement and outreach to join our mission-driven, highly collaborative team. With a thorough knowledge of the key elements of online and offline communications, the ideal candidate feels at home in a lean nonprofit work environment and is looking for an opportunity to own and grow all communications and outreach functions. You are an excellent written and verbal communicator skilled with digital media platforms, presentation preparation, online community building and traditional media relations. You have stellar influencing and interpersonal skills as well as strong technical capabilities and are comfortable working across a range of tasks from strategic planning to presentation development and outreach campaigns. You are also an energetic self-starter, skilled multi- tasker, and creative problem solver. This isn’t just a job; it’s mission critical work that is personally important to you. You are passionate about our planet and the ecosystems and communities it supports. You believe that sustainable water solutions are integral to fostering a healthy and resilient future, and your passion shines through in your day-to-day work, your relationships with your colleagues, and your engagement with partners.
This position will manage WaterNow Alliance’s digital and traditional communications, messaging, and activities, and expand our online presence and role as a thought leader. In close collaboration with other team members, the Manager will share lead responsibility for one of WaterNow’s most critical mission-driven activities: engaging, activating, and expanding WaterNow Alliance’s membership, currently about 500 water leaders in 38 states nationwide. The Communications and Outreach Manager will get to drive important conversations around WaterNow’s policy advocacy, project accelerators, and build excitement for the culminating Annual Summit attended by the water leadership ecosystem.
The Communications and Outreach Manager will be based at the WaterNow office in the heart of San Francisco’s Presidio. While there may some initial remote work during the Bay Area’s shelter-in-place mandate, this will be a full time, on-site role once the mandate is lifted.
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Managing and keeping vibrant and current WNA’s two primary websites https://waternow.org/ and https://tapin.waternow.org/
- Establishing and tracking key website and outreach performance metrics
- Designing and developing conference and event presentations, including Prezi and PowerPoint decks
- Designing and managing all digital and print outreach and attendance recruitment for WNA events, including an annual Summit, workshops, webcasts, and other engagement activities
- Managing WaterNow’s Editorial Calendar including monthly e-newsletters, alerts, blogs; outreach to potential partners and building WNA’s organizational network
- Creating content for WaterNow’s email campaigns, monthly newsletters, event outreach.
- Managing a variety of social media channels, including Twitter, Facebook, and Linkedin to raise visibility, bring in members and partners, and increase awareness of our work and the benefits of sustainable water solutions broadly
- Building relationships with traditional and digital media, engaging with key influencers to advance WaterNow’s mission
- Providing communications support for WNA’s substantive policy and project work including drafting and designing informational handouts and briefs
- Supervise the Database Manager and work with him to oversee the maintenance and growth of WNA’s salesforce database
Specific Candidate Requirements
- College degree
- At least 5 years relevant work experience in communications, organizing, outreach and/or campaign work, including experience with email communications, events, social media, website management, earned media.
- Strong proficiency with social media platforms and online community building.
- Strong technical proficiency with MailChimp, Salesforce, and other CRM technology, WordPress and basic HTML, Squarespace, MS Office Suite, including Excel & PowerPoint; Adobe Design Suite, significant experience with Google Analytics and SEO.
- Self-motivated with a talent for delivering outstanding work in an entrepreneurial way and able to gracefully navigate competing deadlines and priorities.
- Commitment to environmental sustainability, WaterNow Alliance mission.
- Candidates with water utility, municipal and/or water policy backgrounds will be given particular attention.
- Salary and Benefits: WaterNow offers an attractive compensation and benefits package. The salary for this position begins at $72,000 and is negotiable commensurate with experience. Benefits package include a 3% retirement match as well as health, dental, vision coverage and more.
Please provide a resume and cover letter that describes your interest in this position, your relevant qualifications and experience, and your availability and your salary requirements. Please also submit a writing sample prepared entirely by you. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Applications can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re a small team and politely request no follow-up calls or emails.
Multiplier and WaterNow Alliance celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and WaterNow Alliance are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and WaterNow Alliance prohibit discrimination in their governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.
Job posted: 2020-05-13