Communications Partner, Crypto Policy
Founded in 2009 by Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz, Andreessen Horowitz (known as “a16z”) is a venture capital firm in Silicon Valley, California, that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic: We invest in seed to late-stage technology companies, across the consumer, enterprise, bio/healthcare, crypto, and fintech spaces. a16z has $18.8B in assets under management across multiple funds, including the $3.1B Crypto funds, $1.4B Bio funds, and the Cultural Leadership Fund.
Across the three dedicated crypto funds, we’ve established a team that is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the entrepreneurial company building process. We’ve invested in companies like Coinbase, OpenSea, and Dapper Labs (NBA Top Shot). Our team is at the forefront of new technology, helping entrepreneurs and their companies impact and change the world.
This communications partner for the crypto team will work closely with the head of crypto marketing and communications and the global head of policy to build the a16z crypto policy program.
In this role you will leverage the resources of the firm to bring key players from across the industry together around a policy narrative for crypto that advocates for the space. You will work directly with the experienced team a16z crypto has assembled representing experience in policy and regulatory affairs, including the SEC, NYSE, and Departments of Justice, State, and Treasury.
This is an incredible opportunity for an experienced communicator who is committed to driving innovation and discovery in the crypto space to shape the conversation around the future of technology and the role of these systems in society.
To join our team, you should be excited to:
- Collaborate and execute on communications plans by working with the global head of policy, head of regulatory, and other members of the policy and regulatory teams on core narratives and individual thought leadership platforms; inclusive of deploying these platforms at industry-leading events, through content and via engagements with thought-leaders, policymakers, business leaders, and press.
- Be a beacon and trusted strategic advisor for in-house policy, compliance, and legal leaders at dozens of portfolio companies – you’ll be the link between the messages and tactics we deploy and their efforts, working to scale our knowledge about practices we know are having an impact across the crypto community.
- Build strong industry networks and secure high quality advocacy opportunities for general partners and policy leaders on the team to write, speak, and lead key conversations.
- Keep your finger on the pulse of the policy conversation surrounding crypto and work closely with the team on rapid response to combat misinformation about crypto and push back on certain narratives before they take hold.
- Build a program that includes ongoing engagement with media influential in policy circles that inserts the a16z crypto point of view on any given hot topic in crypto through regular briefings, newsletters, and more.
- Develop living breathing educational materials and content that showcase the human stories of crypto and the real impact different projects are having in communities around the world.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in issues management, executive, crisis, product, and/or policy communications in-house, on a campaign, and/or at an agency; experience in finance and politics a plus.
- Specific experience in banking, finance, and/or economic policy and leading communications strategies on behalf of a government agency or regulator a plus.
- Strong media relationships among political reporters and editors.
- Strong partnership skills – we are connectors at our core and find joy in building trusted connections within the firm, within our portfolio, and within the industries in which we operate.
- Self-starter who is resilient through change, with strong ability to context-shift, learn, and drive meaningful results
- High EQ; able to persuade, influence, and build trust at the executive level
- Proven track record of creating and executing on communications plans, strong writing skills, content marketing experience a plus.
- Respect for the entrepreneurial struggle and eagerness to advocate for builders and innovators among policymakers.
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
At a16z we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the World.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-08-18