Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 311343
Directorate: Communications and Information Technology
Division: Communications & Publications
Group: Content & Quality
Communications generates opportunities to advance the Laboratory’s research and leadership reputation with targeted stakeholder groups. It plans and directs development of information designed to keep targeted audiences informed of Laboratory or Directorate-specific programs, accomplishments, or point of view. It collaborates with other communications functions to enable effective development of integrated public relations and communications plans, implement campaigns, and develop external and internal communications products.
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a world-class research institution powered by a highly educated, diverse workforce committed to collaboration and work–life balance. Dynamic, adaptable people come to PNNL to work smarter and work together on high-impact projects and initiatives for the U.S. Department of Energy and many other sponsors. They focus on meaningful work, innovation, and outcomes. At PNNL, you’ll find a positive, fast-paced environment and excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, flexible work schedules, and telework options. This position is located at PNNL’s main campus in eastern Washington State, an area known for its outdoor recreation, thriving wine industry, and affordable cost of living.
PNNL’s Communications and Publications Division is a focused on delivering stellar customer service, counsel, and communications strategy to leaders across the Laboratory. We’re currently seeking a detail-oriented and productive communicator to team with others and bring speed and efficiency to the production of communications materials for our National Security Directorate (NSD). This is an ideal role for a flexible, multi-talented communicator who has extensive creating collateral and content in multiple formats, particularly related to national security (computing and analytics, cybersecurity, nuclear nonproliferation, and like domains).
The Ideal Candidate
If you have superb communications and organizational skills, are deadline driven, and have a talent for developing creative and compelling content in multiple formats, we want to connect with you! Specifically, we’re looking for candidates who have experience concepting, writing, and editing content to appropriately capture a “national security” story for targeted audiences. Ideal candidates will also be excellent at teaming and working collaboratively with other communicators as well as researchers.
- Serve on a team of communications professionals that contributes to a wide spectrum of projects across the Communications and Publications Division, but with particular focus on NSD. Duties will include:
- Responding to communications strategy and channeling it into effective communications tools
- Building connections with fellow communicators and with researchers in mission areas
- Managing projects of limited scope, including but not limited to: NSD Laboratory Directed Research and Development, routine deliverables (organizational charts, intranet content updates, web content updates, internal campaign support), communications campaign deliverables, monthly reporting, editorial calendar updates and reporting, Directorate Advisory Committee communications, science highlights database management, and special communications projects
- Writing, gathering, and vetting content for internal and external reports, including the annual Lab Plan, trimester reports, and Battelle Board reports
- Creating original content and editing existing content representing capabilities, people, and impact on PNNL’s internal or external website
- Developing content and materials to support business NSD’s business development goals, including sector and subsector deliverables
- Understand the value of and collaborate with the specialized teams in the Division—newsroom, creative services, editing—and lean on the skills and professional support of others to complete projects as per the standard workflow
- Write general content for newsletters, emails, calendars, campus-wide flat panel displays, etc.
- Communicate regularly to offer assistance and accept new assignments
- Utilize the Division workflow system, “CommWorks,” to record assignments, monitor progress, and route work
- Perform other duties as required/assigned
The hiring level will be determined based on the education, experience and skill set of the successful candidate based on the following:
Level 3 : Develops solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity. Identifies improvement/efficiency opportunities in area where assigned as SME.
Level 4 : Demonstrates leadership by translating strategy into specific goals and objectives. Works on complex problems and provides solutions which are innovative and ingenious. Skilled at working crossfunctionally to understand problems and develop and implement solutions. Identifies improvement/efficiency opportunities both within and outside of area where assigned as SME. Demonstrates initiative to implement against opportunities including removing barriers and working successfully with a wide variety of staff with different skill sets, levels and style.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, marketing or related field with at least five years of like experience, or an advanced degree plus two or more years of like experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, marketing or related field with at least seven years of like experience, or an advanced degree plus four or more years of like experience
- Strong customer service orientation with exceptional attention to detail and follow through
- Demonstrated success developing and implementing communications plans
- Self-motivated and resourceful; able to thrive in a dynamic, collaborative, and professional environment
- Known for gracefully handling pressure and competing deadlines; able to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously and to function in a fast-paced environment
- Basic experience and comfort using social media, including Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- Experience with science and technology writing, specifically in domains pertinent to NSD (computing and analytics, cybersecurity, nuclear nonproliferation, and like domains)
- Experience writing content for multiple formats (e.g., internal and external newsletters, websites, social media, reports, presentations)
- Good at building relationships and quickly establishing/maintaining trust with others
- Ability to apply various style guides (e.g., Chicago Manual of Style and AP Stylebook)
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including the ability to proofread content for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and style; a dedication to quality writing
- A talent for interviewing others and probing for impactful content that will resonate with audiences
- A knack for understanding audience characteristics and adjusting writing styles for various groups
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills including use of templates, content controls, and styles
- Experience with or knowledge of content management systems, especially Drupal and SharePoint
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. If you are offered a position at PNNL and are currently a participant in a foreign government talent recruitment program you will be required to disclose this information before your first day of employment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-02