Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Communications and Public Affairs Director
COVID-19 continues to significantly impact our employees, families and communities. With employee health and safety as our top priority, and as a federal contractor, Lockheed Martin is taking action to address the increased risk and uncertainty COVID-19 variants pose in the workplace and ensuring we meet our commitments to national security.
To uphold safety for all employees, we will continue to request vaccination status for all Lockheed Martin employees including new hires. All current and newly hired employees are required to follow onsite safety measures based upon the COVID-19 Community Level at the specific work location.
Description:The Communications & Public Affairs director provides communications counsel and support to Lockheed Martin’s Government Affairs team, to promote key LM programs and advance our relationships with government customers. The director reports to the vice president of Communications and works closely with the leaders in the company’s Government Affairs team to build the company’s brand inside the Beltway. The director leads a team to develop and execute integrated communications strategies and plans that support program objectives, maximize adjacent market opportunities and support business growth.
The director will collaborate across the business areas, corporate and international communications, and Lockheed Martin Government Affairs to develop communications plans that accurately and effectively represent the Lockheed Martin brand and story to customers and industry influencers, with emphasis on:
• Aligning messages to customer priorities
• Shaping the conversation on critical policy issues impacting the business
• Engaging with advocates who support the Lockheed Martin mission
• Promoting Lockheed Martin’s contributions to the economy and workforce
• Preparing for political risks and challenges impacting the business
Key skills and responsibilities:
• Develops and implements communication strategies that support awareness of Lockheed Martin’s products to key stakeholders and media
• Maintains relationships with decision-makers and influencers within the Beltway to shape and influence communications appropriately and advance brand opportunities
• Has strong knowledge of internal and external trends that impact the business and our company positioning
• Serves as a bridge to align and coordinate communication strategies among business units
• Provides executive communications support for the SVP, Government Affairs, including writing remarks, internal communications and social media
• Counsels Lockheed Martin senior leaders on media issues and engagements inside the Beltway
• Strategically manages the development, planning, and conduct of public relations programs to improve and support company business objectives with the public, industry, stockholders, and employees
• Acts as the communications representative for trade associations and coalitions on behalf of the company
• Coordinates Government Affairs input into key communications activity
• Directs the work of consultants to ensure alignment to priorities.
– 10+ years of experience in communications, advocacy and media management responsibilities
– Seasoned professional with demonstrated experience in government or related position
– Solid familiarity and experience with the legislative process and the political environment
– Prior experience managing team of communications professionals
– Appropriate degree or advanced degree with professional experience and specialized training commensurate with assignment
– Significant leadership experience in executive communications and external communications
– Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and SharePoint
– Demonstrated proactive approach and strategic thinking
– Proven ability to build and maintain effective working relationships across all levels in a cross-functional team environment
– Excellent ability to engage with key stakeholders
– Must be a team player who can work under pressure and in fast-moving situations
– Familiarity and experience with the federal and state legislative processes and understanding of the surrounding political environment
• Superior writing, speaking and communication skills
• Outstanding executive presence and interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of Lockheed Martin programs and/or the aerospace and defense industry
• Strong leadership skill / aptitude demonstrated through project management, strategic planning, and measurement/evaluationClearance Level: NoneOther Important Information You Should KnowExpression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.Ability to Work Remotely: Part-time Remote Telework: The employee selected for this position will work part of their work schedule remotely and part of their work schedule at a designated Lockheed Martin facility. The specific weekly schedule will be discussed during the hiring process.Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.Schedule for this Position: 4×10 hour day, 3 days off per weekLockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.Experience Level: Experienced ProfessionalBusiness Unit: CORPORATE HEADQUARTERSRelocation Available: PossibleCareer Area: Public RelationsType: Full-TimeShift: First
Job posted: 2022-09-21