Communications Public Affairs Manager
Who we are:
The Council of State Governments Justice Center is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that develops research-driven strategies to increase public safety and strengthen communities. We combine the power of a membership association, representing state officials in all three branches of government, with the expertise of a policy and research team focused on assisting others to attain measurable results. We help achieve those results by:
- Bringing people together from both sides of the aisle to foster collaboration.
- Driving the criminal justice field forward with original research.
- Providing expert assistance to translate the latest research into policy and practice.
- Building momentum for policy change at the state and local level.
What you’ll do:
The Public Affairs Manager will work with the Communications and External Affairs Division to provide strategic media relations, public affairs, and broader communications assistance to advance organization-wide initiatives. This role will also provide strategic leadership on certain key, high-profile organizational initiatives.
Specific position responsibilities include:
- Strategic communications: Develop and execute national and project-specific communications plans and strategies to effectively deliver the organization’s message and support its members. Serve as a key contributor of efforts to establish non-traditional ways’both for the organization and for the field’to communicate the CSG Justice Center’s work and message;
- Message development and project-specific communications: Lead the writing and strategic development of talking points, media materials, and project-specific communications (media advisories, press releases, fact sheets, op-eds, etc.);
- Media relations: Serve as a spokesperson and contact for project-specific media inquiries. Assist with proactive pitching, reactive handling, and monitoring of inquiries’ensuring the fidelity to organizational voice;
- Stakeholder engagement: Serve as a lead point of contact to internal project teams, funders, and key partners on a variety of campaigns and initiatives. Leads the planning of media events and other convenings of government officials, funders, advocates, practitioners, and national experts;
- Project management: Manage assigned projects from inception to completion’including budgeting, deliverable planning, and reporting’to ensure that all activities are coordinated, executed effectively, and completed on time and within budget;
- Digital engagement: Work in concert with the communications division to better understanding the organization’s audiences and behavior. Strategically deploy digital tools and social platforms’including interactive web tools, surveys, email marketing, social media campaigns, livestreamed events, etc.’to disseminate and amplify the CSG Justice Center’s messages;
- Leadership: Collaborate with the Division Director and Deputy Division Director to develop long-range strategies to guide the CSG Justice Center’s public affairs and communications initiatives;
- Collaboration: Participate actively in staff discussions and strategic planning meetings. Serve as liaison between communications and other internal divisions to collaborate, exchange information, and advance the organiation’s mission.
This position offers a significant level of responsibility and opportunity for growth for an individual seeking to advance a career in communications and criminal justice policy.
What you’ll bring:
- At least 4 years of work experience in the fields of communications, journalism, public relations or public affairs. Political campaign, government relations, and/or state government experience preferred.
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills;
- Strong oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively distill and present complex information in a clear, concise way;
- Demonstrated success developing and executing strategic communications plans, cultivating media coverage, and managing media inquiries;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including maturity, an ability to work independently and in a team setting, and a sense of humor; and
- Efficient, organized work style and an ability to prioritize quickly and confidently and manage multiple deadlines.
- Familiarity with digital communications platforms’such as graphic design, email marketing, video production, data visualizations, social media strategy, etc.
Who you’ll join:
The CSG Justice Center is one of the most robust criminal justice organizations in the country, comprised of approximately 120 employees with decades of experience in law enforcement, community corrections, court administration, housing, mental health and addiction services, state prisons, local jails, juvenile justice, education, workforce development and victim advocacy. Staff here have served governors, state legislators and members of Congress on both sides of the political spectrum. What bonds us together is a shared commitment to our mission, to a common set of values, and to the national, bipartisan advisory board that guides our work. Learn more about careers at the CSG Justice Center.
How you apply:
If you’re interested in helping us drive change across the country, you should upload the following elements with your application:
- Cover letter with salary expectations
- Writing Sample
- At least three professional references
The CSG Justice Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We participate in E-Verify
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-22