Communications and Public Affairs Manager
The Manager of Communications and Public Affairs drives the day to day management for public relations and public affairs and media relations for the Americas, manages internal communications and campaign support for key Americas leaders, and supports the global communications strategy where needed for American Express Global Business Travel. This role drives thought leadership, timely media relations, cross functional content opportunities and special projects in support of key Americas and global GBT leadership stakeholders. The ideal candidate will thrive working agilely across time zones and be a proven team player with an entrepreneurial mind set.
- Drives the external communications strategy development and tactical Public Affairs plan for the Americas in support of the Senior Director of Global Communication and Public Affairs (based in the U.S.), collaborates with key GBT stakeholders across sales enablement, marketing and legal on cross functional projects (social, external communications, Marketing) and contributes to the development of the global plan in support of the Vice President of External Communications.
- Manages day-to-day public relations, public affairs, and internal communications activities for the Americas including proactive and reactive media relations, the drafting and approval of press releases, speeches, byline articles, talking points, statements and media briefings for interviews.
- Develop strategies to leverage business activities with traditional and social media, develops newsworthy stories and works with the Americas External Communications team and external public relations agency to successfully pitch them
- Maintains exceptionally strong relationships with key publications, journalists and influencers in the business travel and meetings sector, including development of spokesperson press relationships.
- Develops a strong roster of speakers, including media training, establishing source relationships with key journalists, sourcing of speaking, by line and social media opportunities, and speaker support.
- Supports external crisis communication for the Americas.
- Works closely with the day-to-day Social Media Manager on pipeline of content and campaigns including organic for Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Partners with team members to develop and execute against broad relationship strategy for major associations such as GBTA and BTN and manages speaker support for all trade show and industry events (including sponsorships, speaking engagements, road shows and customer advisory boards).
- Meets or exceeds performance measures to ensure high ROI on all communications and event activities
- Drives alignment with business leaders regarding employee and field communications to ensure consistency between internal and external communications
- Builds and fosters strong relationships across the GBT organization; develops deep partnerships that drive excellent content development opportunities / output.
Minimum 5 years’ experience in PR or corporate communications on client or agency side. Enterprise B2B or travel industry a plus.
Degree in related field (liberal arts, journalism, communications, etc.), or equivalent in work experience
Exceptional written, verbal and presentation skills
Strong, versatile writer and presenter of information/communication through a variety of formats – web, video, feature articles, announcements, etc.
Creativity and demonstrated success in developing and managing stories with national, local and trade press; familiarity with travel industry and trade press preferred
Management of external PR agencies
Skilled with project management and ability to handle multiple priorities and projects
Grace under pressure and ability to meet aggressive deadlines.
Self-starter; personally motivated, resourceful, and comfortable working in a fast-paced, global, virtual work environment
Highly-organized, thorough and detail-oriented
Adaptable, creative thinker with excellent judgment and discretion
U.S. based role
United States>Virtual Location
It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job, without regard to age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran status, citizenship or marital status, and to maintain a non-discriminatory environment free from intimidation, harassment or bias based upon these grounds.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-08-22