Communications and Public Relations Coordinator
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
The California Academy of Sciences is seeking a talented Communications and PR Coordinator to support a variety of Academy communications functions. This is a full-time position that reports to the Communications Associate and joins a dynamic team of public relations and science communications professionals.
We are committed to ensuring diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion are intrinsic to Academy culture and operations, from recruitment and retention to science and advocacy. Explore Our Commitment to Racial Equity to learn about our intentional engagement of traditionally excluded groups in an effort to spark interest in or foster pathways to scientific careers.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the Academy’s PR and communications efforts by:
- Writing and distributing press releases, media alerts, fact sheets, and conducting press outreach as needed for both research and visitation focused communications.
- Working with stakeholders to gather content, photo, and video assets to assemble digital press kits.
- Maintaining the Academy’s online newsroom, research and leadership staff bios and headshots, and the Academy’s Experts and Fellows Database, ensuring these key internal and external resources stay up to date throughout the year.
- Maintaining the Academy’s media monitoring database, generating media metrics reports and high-level summaries as needed, including quarterly press metrics for our Institute for Biodiversity Science and Sustainability (IBSS).
- Updating and refining media lists for research and visitation related outreach.
- Managing and writing award submissions for IBSS and other relevant Academy staff
- Supporting and supervising film and photo shoots, assisting with logistical arrangements, scheduling, and escorting media crews onsite. Will include occasional early morning, evening, and weekend hours.
- Providing logistical support for press previews, tours, and media events, managing invitations, internal coordination with stakeholders, and event support.
- Supports the Academy’s multimedia magazine bioGraphic by:
- Pitching published stories to partner distributors to help continue to build bioGraphic’s global syndication network.
- As needed, write short essays, articles, and photo captions for bioGraphic, as well as fact-check and proofread stories written by other contributors.
- Managing and writing award submissions for previously published bioGraphic stories, and compiling assets for accepted nominations.
- As needed and as assigned, write content for the Academy’s website and email communications.
- Follows all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
A qualified candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
- College-level coursework (science writing coursework a plus) or experience working in Journalism, English, Public Relations, Communications, or Science
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in a similar communications or editorial support role
- Experience in science communication strongly preferred
- Passion for science and the natural world a plus
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal skills; desire to cultivate and maintain open, effective working relationships with colleagues at all levels of the organization, media, and external partners
- Outstanding writing and editing skills; keep attention to detail; ability to adapt voice and tone to reflect diverse audiences and subject matter
- Excellent problem solving, project management, and organizational skills
- Willingness to request and incorporate feedback and learn new skills
- Comfortable in a fast-paced and deadline-driven work environment
- Comfortable with Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Flexible and creative
- Familiarity with web content management systems a plus
- Ability to read and interpret documents and write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities who meet the job’s essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use a computer, and communicate on the phone, in person, and online meetings/calls. Must be able to transport 10 lbs and perform repetitive motions 75% of the time.
While this position would generally be expected to work in the Academy offices, under current operations the position is expected to be primarily remote for the time being with occasional needs for on-site support until regular office schedule resumes.
September 13, 2021 at 5:00 PM. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
How to Apply
Please upload a resume and complete the brief online application on our Careers site.
The California Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensure that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, place of birth, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, height or weight, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
Job posted: 2021-09-06