Communications Senior Associate
The Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to increasing the scale and effectiveness of impact investing around the world.
Impact investing is one of the most important social innovations of our time, and interest in it is exploding. The GIIN is backed by leading funders, such as The Rockefeller Foundation, Ford Foundation, USAID, the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, Prudential, and J.P. Morgan, and has a growing membership network of more than 350 members in 50 countries. The GIIN works to mobilize a global network of leading financial institutions and others to dramatically increase the amount of capital being deployed effectively to social and environmental issues around the world. To learn more about the work we do and impact investing, please visit www.thegiin.org
This Senior Associate position is central to the organization’s external-facing Communications and Outreach strategy. The ideal candidate will be an exceptional writer, who can swiftly construct compelling narratives which capture the breadth and scope of the GIIN’s vision. They will also be a strong strategic communicator, who can help express GIIN messages to the news media and other important external audiences. Our organization prizes candidates who are self-starters and energized about supporting a field-building organization dedicated to growing the impact investing market. This role offers an opportunity to support systemic change around capitalism and will involve regular interaction with the GIIN’s Senior Management Team.
The Senior Associate will be expected to strategically drive measurable progress toward their annual goals. Applicants should be even-tempered with a high degree of professionalism, strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate is a proactive problem-solver who takes initiative to consistently perform to high standards.
Writing bold communications and marketing content to attract and influence select industry stakeholders and broad public audiences. Responsibilities include: editing, sharpening, and proofreading content produced by other team members; conceptualizing and executing the regular production of email newsletters and blog posts; writing speeches and cover letters for research reports with members of the GIIN Senior Management Team, as assigned.
Leading the development of a content marketing calendar, which strategically organizes the GIIN’s content dissemination timeline. Responsibilities include: crafting compelling messages that will attract attention from the news media to the GIIN’s work; drafting press releases; preparing talking points for GIIN leaders; pitching potential news stories about the GIIN to journalists; tracking media coverage of the GIIN and producing quarterly reports.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a related field
- 5+ years of communications-related work experience required, preferably with a track record demonstrating progressively increasing responsibilities
- Experience with marketing communications, thought leadership creation, and high-volume written output
- Proven capacity to manage multiple ongoing communications projects simultaneously, including projects with a combination of internal and external stakeholders
- Experience with event and conference-related marketing communications is desirable
- Public relations experience is a plus
- Exceptional writing abilities with a special aptitude for translating complex information into clear, compelling messages
- Superb editing skills with an eye for concision and precision
- Strong critical thinking, including the ability to help team members sharpen the logic behind their words and writing
- Robust knowledge of the media landscape and the messages mostly likely to capture the attention of relevant external audiences
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to offer and receive feedback in a productive, professional manner
- Strong attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and juggle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience in formal public relations work is desirable, but not required; more important is an understanding of the types of messages and information that will interest journalists and news media
- Experience with either social or traditional media is desirable, but not required
- Experience with and/or aptitude for technology solutions and databases, such as Salesforce, Zoom, MailChimp, etc. is desirable
- Working knowledge of computer software applications, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Interest or experience in impact investing and/or social and environmental issues
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours at times of peak project flow
- Personable, engaging presence with diplomacy, tact, and good humor
- Aligned in thought and action with the GIIN’s values: https://thegiin.org/values-and-guiding-principles
Full-time role in a flexible, entrepreneurial culture. Our team is currently working remotely through fall 2021. This position will be based in our New York, NY office once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted; we expect some remote work flexibility to continue after our official return to the office.
How to Apply
Email cover letter and CV to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. State “Communications Senior Associate_ First Name Last Name” in the subject line of your email. Please indicate where you saw the job posting in your cover letter.
No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. The GIIN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job posted: 2021-05-14