Communications/Social Media Coordinator
The Secular Coalition for America is seeking a communications consultant who will communicate our mission to the general public and our supporters. The communications consultant will help maintain the daily external communications of the Secular Coalition for America while also assisting staff with special projects including writing and editing press releases, fundraising appeals, and updates to our supporters.
Posting daily social media. The Secular Coalition for America seeks to maintain an active presence on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Our goal is to post at least 3 times per day on Facebook, 5-8 times per day on Twitter, and at least once a week on Instagram. The content posted must be formatted to each platform.
Updating and maintaining our website: It is essential that our website is updated frequently to reflect the latest news about the Secular Coalition for America and our advocacy work.
Producing content: The Secular Coalition for America produces a wide variety of written materials including but not limited to: fundraising appeals, press releases, blog posts, and updates to our supporters, donors, and constituents.
Press Relations: Elevating the Secular Coalition for America’s profile and voice in the media helps us fulfill our mission of bringing visibility and respect to nontheists. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to: making effective use of Cision to track and respond to coverage of issues relevant to the Secular Coalition, pitching stories and building relationships with reporters as a credible and reliable source of information.
- The ability to write in the voice of the Secular Coalition for America and effectively communicate our message to our supporters.
- Respect for our mission and our constituents
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, able to articulate complex concepts in a concise and compelling manner
- Familiar with, or able to learn, WordPress, MailChimp, Tweetdeck or Hootsuite (or an equivalent social media scheduling platform)
- Able to post content reacting to the news cycle, the Secular Coalition for America’s member organizations, or relevant holidays or anniversaries
- Strong copy editing and proofreading skills
- Familiar with or able to learn Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, Indesign (or graphics design software). Knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- Able to reformat and resize images, basic video editing, and basic graphic design
- Successful track record of pitching stories to journalists
- Able to identify fundraising opportunities on social media, particularly on Facebook
- Passion for a strong, secular government, and familiarity with issues concerning religion-government separation
- Able to think creatively and strategically
- Able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, team environment with tight deadlines
Benefits (for full time exempt employees only)
- Health, dental, and vision insurance (for full time exempt employees only)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible PTO
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Please provide a cover letter with your resume, along with a writing sample to the Director of Policy and Government Affairs, Casey Brinck. Incomplete applications with missing documentation will not be considered.
- SCA is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity.
Thank you for considering what you might contribute to the mission of the Secular Coalition for America.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract
- Media Relations: 2 years (Required)
- Proofreading: 1 year (Preferred)
- Graphic design: 2 years (Required)
- Social Media Management: 1 year (Required)
- Adobe Acrobat: 1 year (Preferred)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Work from home
- Flexible schedule
- Professional development assistance
Hours per week:
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible — enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Innovative — prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- High stress tolerance — thrives in a high-pressure environment
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- A job for which people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Monday to Friday
- On call
To apply, send your resume, cover letter and writing sample to our Executive Director, Debbie Allen, at email@example.com.
Job posted: 2020-05-22