Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
UNITE HERE is a progressive labor union, dedicated to creating greater equality and opportunity for workers in the North American hospitality industry. Communications Specialists are embedded in local worker campaigns and play a crucial role in designing comprehensive communications strategies using digital platforms, earned media, and multi-media tools to raise the visibility of worker struggles. As a Communications Specialist with UNITE HERE, you can be part of a team that empowers people in low-wage service sector jobs to achieve better wages and benefits, dignity and basic rights at work.
Job Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Framing messages and developing materials for effective communication with the news media, the general public, union members, and other working people and allies.
- Developing, planning and leading communication strategies and calendars for organizing, contract and other advocacy campaigns.
- Developing and implementing proactive earned media outreach in traditional and new media, planning and organizing media events, and training workers to be spokespersons.
- Writing leaflets, bulletins, website and e-advocacy content, news releases, fact sheets, talking points, speeches, paid ads, and other materials.
- Managing the production of internal member communications, including newsletters, electronic communications using mass texting and email services, and more.
- Producing multi-media content for communications, such as photographs and short videos.
- Maintaining and updating content to websites, social media feeds, and internal electronic archives.
- Expanding the Union’s strategic use of digital communications and new social media.
- Collaborating with leaders from other departments in the development of campaign communications strategy and content.
- Working with outside consultants or vendors on special projects.
- Ensuring that all communication is consistent and reflects the Union’s strategic vision.
- Editing and revising all communications content as necessary.
- Minimum of one year of work experience in media relations, public affairs, or campaign communications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to frame issues for specific audiences and develop simple, effective advocacy materials
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Prior work experience with grassroots advocacy campaigns
- Proficient with Microsoft Word/Excel
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
- Experience with creative media production in one or more of the following areas is preferred: web development, graphic design, photography or video production/editing
- Experience using Mobile Commons or Action Network a plus
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite software (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) or Final Cut Pro a plus
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-07