Are you a strong communicator with a passion for social and economic justice and advocacy? Are you a strategic thinker with campaign experience who can conceive, plan, and execute strong communications campaigns?
The National Union of Healthcare Workers (NUHW) seeks a talented writer, editor, and page designer/production artist to join our staff as a Communications Specialist. This individual will play a key role in the union’s strategic contract campaigns and all internal and external communications.
The National Union of Healthcare Workers is helping revitalize the labor movement with its commitment to worker empowerment and democratic ideals.
Founded in 2009, we have grown to represent more than 15,000 mental health clinicians, nurses, nursing assistants, medical technicians, clerks, and service workers. NUHW members are leading the fight to improve patient care, raise living standards, and hold healthcare corporations accountable to their employees and the communities they serve. And NUHW-represented mental health clinicians are powerful advocates for ending the stigma surrounding mental illness and enforcing mental health parity rules so that patients get the treatment they need when they need it.
To learn more about NUHW and its values, see the video at NUHW.org/about.
Our growing communications team captures and amplifies the stories of NUHW members who are on the front lines fighting to better their lives and the lives of their patients. The team works collaboratively to craft compelling content that educates, inspires, engages, and pushes people to take action to fix America’s broken healthcare system.
The Communications Specialist
- Contract campaigns: Strategize, collaborate, and contribute communications
support to worker-led campaigns to win strong contracts with their employers.
- Writing and editing: Write and edit print and digital communications
materials in collaboration with the communications team, field organizers, and union officials.
- Production and design: Design and produce print and digital materials that inform and engage members, supporters, and the public.
- Digital communications management: Manage communications tools including email and texting clients and social media.
- Experience working on strategic campaigns.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Strong production skills (InDesign, Photoshop, or equivalent applications).
- Experience with digital tools including email and texting clients, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube), and WordPress (or other website and blogging platforms).
- Creativity and the ability to generate ideas and execute them.
- Ability to manage work flow and work independently as well as collaboratively.
- A passion for social and economic justice.
- Experience in Canva or Adobe Spark
- Photography and photo editing skills.
- Fluency in a second language (ideally Spanish, Tagalog, or Chinese).
Salary: $58,000 – $100,000 depending on experience, plus employer-paid medical and dental benefits for employee and family; FSA and HRA plans; life insurance for employee; holidays, sick leave, vacation; 401(k) with 14% employer contribution.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Job posted: 2020-06-10