What we do and offer our team
American Geophysical Union (AGU) supports 130,000 enthusiasts to experts worldwide in Earth and space sciences. Through broad and inclusive partnerships, AGU aims to advance discovery and solution science that accelerate knowledge and create solutions that are ethical, unbiased and respectful of communities and their values. Our programs include serving as a scholarly publisher, convening virtual and in-person events and providing career support. We live our values in everything we do, such as our net zero energy renovated building in Washington, D.C. and our Ethics and Equity Center, which fosters a diverse and inclusive geoscience community to ensure responsible conduct.
As the Communications Specialist, you will be part of this dynamic association that offers our employees great benefits, including flexible work schedules, retirement savings options, as well as health, dental, life and disability insurance. AGU also provides exciting opportunities for professional development and tuition support.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
What the Communications Specialist does
The Communications Specialist position is key in assisting AGU to promote discovery in Earth and Space sciences for the benefit of humanity, by being strategic and operational in focus.
The Communications Specialist will bridge the digital, marketing and media relations functions so that our messaging is consistent across all network. It is vital this person understands how to efficiently and effectively use social media networks, content management systems, email marketing and other digital and print communications to engage our key audiences and increase engagement around the world.
The individual in this role creates and executes new ways to engage current and new audiences around the world about Earth and space sciences and their value using the “best” channel(s) to maximize conversions. Through analytics and work experience, the Communication Specialist will be able to suggest current and new tools that AGU should consider to better tell its story.
This position reports to the VP, Communications, Marketing and Media Relations (CMM).
* Oversees and personally executes on the creation, development and management of email marketing, including identifying images and writing copy and CTAs. This will also include regular analytics reports with suggestions on how to improve engagement.
* Proofreads content for style and substance, including online optimizing copy for search, overseeing and enforcing content brand, voice and style guidelines.
* Collaborates with staff at all levels of the organization.
* Collaborates with other members of the CMM team to facilitate and assist at AGU meetings and in other settings/events. Includes working with partner organizations and institutions to promote news/key information presented at AGU meetings.
* Contributes to the development of content related to AGU programs. This includes, but is not limited to press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, talking points, facts sheets, web-based and e-newsletter stories, blog posts, social media posts and multimedia.
* Contributes to the development of Communications Plans for a variety of projects and initiatives.
* Other duties, as assigned, to support an integrated marketing communications effort.
What the Communications Specialist brings to the team
* 3-6 years of experience in media, communications, marketing or related field, with a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Experience in a membership association/not-for-profit and/or scientific or technical organization preferred.
* Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including proofreading/editing skills. Knowledge of AP style is strongly preferred.
* Ability to communicate and interact easily and effectively with staff at all levels, as well as AGU leaders, freelancers, vendors, scientists and researchers.
* Ability to manage multiple priorities and work well under deadline pressure.
* Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft suite of products, including Excel and Word; Adobe Photoshop; Sitecore (and other .Net platforms); RealMagnet; WordPress; and Google Analytics and Tag Manager. Experience with other email marketing services and analytics tools is desirable.
* Ability to independently prioritize work.
* Confidence and motivation to operate independently.
* Strong organizational skills, as well as attention to detail and ability to manage complexity.
* Exceptional project management skills. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
* Ability to exercising highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters.
* Ability to travel.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume to
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Job posted: 2020-07-28