About the job
We’re looking for a skilled communications specialist to join the California Grocers Association’s communications team, reporting to the Sr. Director of Communications.
The Association is the leading voice for California’s grocery community, representing the state’s diverse mix of national grocery chains, independent operators, and grocery suppliers and wholesale companies. Through its governmental advocacy efforts, industry events, and information, and educational foundation, the Association offers a unique perspective to the wider grocery industry, elected officials and policymakers, and the general public.
The communications specialist role offers the chance to work in both a business-to-business communications capacity and also to engage in public affairs campaigns that represent the industry’s perspective on policy issues. By expanding its communications team, CGA’s goal is to build new content modules, add support for existing communications programs, and develop skillsets for storytelling formats like podcasts and video. The ideal candidate is someone comfortable developing multi-channel content, willing to learn and develop creative production skills and has a passion for B2B and/or public affairs and politics.
Responsibility and Requirements: What You Will Do –
- Manage CGA’s ongoing email communications program
- Produce both written and design content for CaGrocers.com, California Grocer magazine, social media, email, CGA events, press releases and other formats to be developed
- Process website content updates
- Serve as assistant editor for CGA’s quarterly magazine
- Manage CGA’s social media channels
- Monitor industry and political stakeholders using digital public affairs software
- Assist in development of public affairs strategies for CGA political efforts
- Build new storytelling modules and formats to grow the brand’s content operations
- Track and analyze ongoing communications efforts
- Support media relations activities
- Excellent writing and communications skills, can share writing samples
- An eye for creative storytelling, with portfolio examples
- Strong copyediting skills
- Interest in retail business and California politics
- Willingness to learn and master new content formats related to podcasts, photography, and video production
- Familiarity with content management systems (CMS)
- Familiarity with Adobe Design Suite
- Podcast production experience
- Video production experience
- Photography experience
- Has worked in local, state, or federal political capacity
- Media relations experience
Work is generally performed in an office environment in downtown Sacramento with a flexible work from home option following completion of 90-day performance evaluation. Occasional overnight travel to CGA/CGAEF events throughout California.
The California Grocers Association provides medical, dental, and vison insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and life insurance and long term disability insurance for the employee. The Association also provides eligible employees with a generous 401(k) and profit sharing program along with paid sick, vacation and holiday time. Parking in downtown location provided.
The position is full-time, exempt. Salary commensurate with experience and credentials.
The information provided in this description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications required of employees in this job.
Employee may experience the following physical demands for extended periods of time:
· View computer monitors;
· Sitting at a desk;
· Standing for CGA/CGAEF events;
· Occasional overnight travel (including driving and flying) to other locations within California, to support CGA/CGAEF events.
Job posted: 2021-08-17