CFA is seeking a Communications Specialist to join the Research and Communications department and anchor our internal and external communications and media programs. Our Internal communications include a weekly email newsletter, specialized member communications and campaign materials, and other printed and electronic media. External communications include maintaining an active website and social media presence, developing an earned media strategy, and supporting public actions and other events.
Our team is excited to welcome an applicant who brings their creativity and a willingness and desire to learn; she/he/they will be experienced working in the labor movement or related social justice organizations and actively contribute to CFA’s commitment to anti-racism and social justice. They must be self-motivated, deadline-oriented individual with a willingness and desire to learn new skills, and work with people in labor unions and academia.
Essential Job Duties:
- Writes, reviews, and edits weekly email newsletter to members;
- Develops messaging consistent with organizational mission and priorities;
- Anti-racism and social justice transformation, including intentionally working to infuse anti-racist and social justice values into the everyday work of CFA;
- Develops print and digital materials, including multi-media presentations for statewide events;
- Trains elected member leaders and active members for media interviews and other speaking engagements;
- Writes press releases, op-eds, brochures, fact sheets, talking points; and other materials, in collaboration with Research and Communications team.
- Coordinates press interviews and media event logistics;
- Monitors and creates content for organization’s digital presence;
- Assist with mass email and text campaigns, including data and list management;
- Develops and maintains productive relationships with CFA officers, members, interns and staff.
The ideal candidate for our team will have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- A strong commitment to advancing racial and social justice transformation in the union movement, the university and beyond, including intentionally working to infuse anti-racist and social justice values into the everyday work of CFA
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet strict deadlines;
- Demonstrated experience in strategic communication planning and implementation;
- Demonstrated graphic / visual design skills
- Project and production management skills
- News gathering, writing, and careful proofreading abilities
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office
- Ability to work with Word Press
- Ability to work collaboratively and strategically with CFA officers, members, interns and staff;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Familiarity working with union officers and member-based committees;
- Previous union experience a plus.
- Ability to travel occasionally (typically 4-5 times per year) and work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends during campaigns.
- Valid driver’s license, an automobile for business use, and proof of minimum insurance coverage.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
Salary/Benefits: CFA offers a fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and generous paid vacation. This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement; salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply send cover letter, resume, references, a writing sample to email@example.com.
CFA is an Affirmative Action Employer.
Women, People of Color/Native People, members of the LGBTQIA community, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
CFA complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Job posted: 2021-10-03