Literacy Partners strengthens families through a two-generation approach to education. With our free classes, community-based workshops, and educational media, low-income parents develop the literacy and language skills they need to succeed in today’s world. Our research-based curriculum also incorporates child development and parenting support to help parents boost their children’s early reading, school readiness, and social-emotional growth. We are in a period of rapid growth as we manifest our trauma-informed teaching approach and social justice values more deeply in our programs and expand nationally.
The Communications Specialist is a new position and will execute campaigns integrating marketing communications and fundraising across multimedia platforms. Involved in strategy development, this position will execute strategy as well as oversee interns/consultants. In charge of developing a wide range of communications content for Email, Print, Web, and Social Media distribution, the Communications Specialist will have a scope of work that includes e-blasts, solicitation letters, digital ads, e-newsletters, annual reports, sponsorship materials, and program collateral. This position is also responsible for building and maintaining relationships with various networks including media outlets, members of the press, corporate sponsors, celebrity managers and agents, and other highly visible and important public figures.
A member of the Development, Marketing and Communications Team, this position reports to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications and will join our team of 28 staff and more than 100 interns and volunteers.
- The Communications Specialist will work closely with the Senior Director of Marketing Communications to execute integrated marketing communications and fundraising campaigns across communications channels.
- The Communications Specialist is in charge of developing various written communications content for Email, Print, Web, and Social Media distribution including press releases, solicitation letters, ad copy, newsletter copy, annual report copy, sponsorship materials, and other materials as needed.
- The Communications Specialist is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with various networks including media outlets, members of the press, corporate sponsors, celebrity managers and agents, and other highly visible and important public figures.
Perform and/or oversee the management of consultants or interns who will execute the following duties:
- Draft copy, source photos, and curate content for email campaigns, newsletters, blogs, and annual report
- Report email campaign results including monitoring open rates and click-through rates
- Execute social media strategy
- Assist in the management and update of donor segments in Constant Contact
Perform and/or oversee the management of consultants, staff, or interns who will execute the following duties:
Website Design & Management
- Establish a new look and feel for our brand
- Design user-centered web pages/wireframes
- Develop/Design web pages on our WordPress website to promote our events and donation campaigns
- Conduct full SEO and Keywords audit
- Establish disability compliance
- Review and report on monthly Google analytics
- Make periodic updates to websites as required
- Make front-end and back-end changes
- Troubleshoot website and API-related issues
- Configure Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager
- Refresh our brand guide to reflect our new brand identity, style, tone, and voice
- Design various marketing and communications materials for digital, print, web, and social media distribution including event invitations, event programs, Facebook ads, print ads, newsletters, brochures, presentations, infographics, annual reports, and other materials as needed
- Manage the planning, filming, and editing of videos that could be used for a variety of projects such as conducting student interviews, recording executive speeches, filming events, and developing short promotional videos for web, digital, and social media distribution.
- Secure photos for various promotional purposes, including capturing candid photos of our classrooms, taking student headshots, and capturing photos of our events
- Organize and maintain our multimedia assets in our media library including photos, videos, graphics, and other collateral pieces
- Build and manage contact database of press, journalists, and media outlets, and prospective corporate sponsors
- Assist the Senior Director of Marketing Communications with cultivating relationships with PR contacts, publicists, celebrity managers/agents
- Draft copy related to marketing and fundraising activities (e.g. press releases, solicitation letters, pitch decks)
- Establish and execute organizational social media strategy across multiple platforms and manage social media community communications
Qualifications & Experience
- At least 2 years working as a communications professional, journalist, copywriter, social media specialist, community manager, public relations specialist or related field
- Experience and measurable success with most responsibilities
- Have experience juggling multiple projects while effectively managing timelines and expectations
- Proficiency in Facebook Ads manager, HootSuite, Constant Contact, and MS Office Suite
- Excellent writer and able to effectively communicate with various audiences
- Strong communication and interpersonal abilities
- Creative problem solver
- Great sense of humor
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary DOE
- 20 vacation days, 3 personal days, 12 holidays
- Excellent medical, vision, and dental plan
- Employer-matched contributions to retirement plan
How to Apply: Send resume with a writing sample of your choice or link to writing portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Communications Specialist” with your name in the subject line. Interviews will be granted on a rolling basis until the position is filled with a start date as soon as possible. Please include your earliest start day and salary requirement.
Literacy Partners is committed to diversity and is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Job posted: 2021-11-03