Communications Specialist (Digital Communications)
The Center on Policy Initiatives is an independent nonprofit that has been at the forefront of the fight for economic justice in San Diego since 1997. We are the San Diego County people’s think tank. We conduct research, generate policy solutions, advance leadership development, and then build alliances to win policies that benefit working families and diverse communities.
About the Positions/Position Overview
The Center on Policy Initiatives (CPI) in San Diego is seeking skilled, flexible communications professionals to join our team. The communications department is an integral part of our strategy to build power and fight for policy solutions that improve the lives of workers Black, Indigenous, Asian American, Pacific Islander, Latinx people and other oppressed or underrepresented communities. We are currently hiring two Communications Specialists to replenish and grow our communications department. One Communications Specialist will focus on digital communications and the second will be expected to concentrate more on media and long form communication.
Our ideal candidates will have a demonstrated ability to create powerful, clear, and strategic messages and to disseminate them effectively using a wide range of communications tools and technology. We seek individuals who are motivated to do great work, take initiative, work independently, and are skillful at working collaboratively in teams. You need a cool head under pressure and the ability to meet regular and frequently competing deadlines. If all this sounds like you, and you have a deep commitment to economic and racial justice, you’re going to love working at CPI.
DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS CORE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Developing and managing digital marketing campaigns across e-mail, web, and social media platforms.
- Developing and managing digital organizing campaigns in collaboration with organizers and the communications department.
- Planning, managing, and creating social media content, including graphics, design elements, interactive data presentations, and other content.
- Shooting and curating photos and videos for websites and social media pages.
SHARED COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Developing and implementing communication strategies for CPI campaigns and programs.
- Creating materials for internal and external use by campaigns, programs, and development, such as talking points, fact sheets, brochures, flyers, graphics, presentations, etc.
- Responding to news media inquiries and requests.
- Planning and executing press conferences and other media events.
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with key reporters, editors, and producers locally and nationally.
- Training spokespeople for public hearings, press conferences, and interviews.
- At least 3-4 years of experience doing communications and media work for advocacy campaigns or other organizations.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice.
- Excellent written communication skills and good spoken communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic communications plans, craft messages, and produce clear, compelling communications materials.
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to the needs and concerns of working people and diverse communities.
- Experience with websites, social media, and emerging media platforms, and understanding of communications technology trends.
- Experience with photography and/or filmmaking, especially experience with DSLR or mirrorless cameras.
- Ability to problem-solve and generate ideas, and to do so under deadline pressure while maintaining good humor.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and to work independently with the self-motivation to produce excellent work on time.
- Ability to anticipate needs and plan accordingly, coordinate complex activities, prioritize conflicting demands, and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Availability and willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish – advanced fluency.
- Experience working in the labor movement, with a labor organizing/advocacy organization or with a social justice advocacy organization.
- Previous experience in a nonprofit, political or governmental setting.
- Knowledge of CRM’s, e-mail databases, and fund-raising software applications (specifically NPG-VAN, EveryAction, or similar).
- Familiarity with media outreach and the news industry overall.
- Experience with these programs is preferred: WordPress, Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, PhotoShop, Premiere)
Salary and Benefits: CPI’s salary and benefit standards are competitive and reflect our commitment to economic justice and equal pay for equal work. The salary range for this position is between $53,125 and $62,500 per year. We offer a full benefits package including employer-paid health, vision, and dental insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with employer contribution, and a generous paid time-off program including paid sick, vacation, and holidays.
Interested candidates should apply on ZipRecruiter and be prepared to submit a cover letter along with writing, graphic design, photography, video, and website samples with their application.
This position is rolling until filled.
Due to the current Covid-19 public health protocols, all interview activities will be conducted remotely by phone or Zoom. Upon returning to regular operations, this position will be located at our offices in San Diego. Given the high volume of applications we receive, it is not possible for us to contact all the candidates. We are also unable to accept calls or direct e-mails regarding the status of applications.
The Center on Policy Initiatives respects, values and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. We believe our strength lies in the broad range of people and partners we work with and represent. Inclusion is a driver of our institutional excellence and we seek out the participation of women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer employees, board members, and volunteers.
Job posted: 2021-07-23