Communications Specialist: Full-time 100% Remotely During SIP
Are you a creative person who has more ideas than you could ever use? Are you passionate about using graphic design to communicate? Are you just as comfortable creating a video for social media as you are writing a newsletter article? Do you have a nose for stories that will move people to action? Do you have a heart for the disability community?
The mission of the Pomeroy Recreation & Rehabilitation Center is to provide recreational, vocational, and educational opportunities for people with disabilities through programs and services that encourage self-expression, promote personal achievement, and lead to greater independence.
The Pomeroy Center is looking for someone talented and committed to join the Fund Development team to help us raise funds and awareness of the organization and the people we serve. We are a legacy nonprofit in San Francisco with a strong reputation within the developmental disability community. Help us increase opportunities and advance social justice for the children and adults we serve every day.
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Director of Development and Communications, the Communications Specialist (CS) is responsible for developing communications in support of the core mission of the Pomeroy Center. This includes website management, distributed printed material, mass brand-related emails, and social media communications. Other responsibilities will include developing and implementing the Center’s communications calendar. The Communications Specialist will also support the development team on major fundraising activities beyond just the promotional aspects and will also be expected to support the Center’s overall fundraising efforts.
Note: This job is currently 100% remote. As San Francisco’s shelter-in-place orders are loosened and Pomeroy begins offering onsite programs for its participants, this position can still offer lots of flexibility. It will be very important, however, for this person to regularly spend time at Pomeroy to be fully immersed in the culture & community and to capture the spirit and stories that happen here every day.
- Monday – Friday
- 100% Remotely during SIP
- Full-time 30 – 37.5 hours
- Pay $24.00/DOE
Duties and Responsibilities:
Brand Awareness and Communications:
- Manage the organization-wide communications calendar, including email launches, social media content, and publication schedule. Establish a process for submitting items.
- Ensure branding consistency across agency-wide communications, messaging, and publications
- Design and produce all agency print publications, including but not limited to direct mail packages, newsletters, brochures, and event materials
- Manage and keep the Center’s website up to date as needed; perform regular refreshes of graphics and functionality
- Design and launch all agency brand-related mass email communications
- Manage all agency social media accounts and online event promotions, including content
Event Planning and Production:
- Partner with the development team, outside event planner, and other groups to plan, produce, and execute, all aspects of the annual fundraising gala and other fundraising events throughout the year.
- Collaborate with staff and support production elements of all in-house events (Art Show, agency-wide parties/events, etc.)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Knowledge of and experience with marketing and public relations; along with superior written communication skills; ability to write clearly, accuracy a priority, attention to details, strong editing, and proofreading skills are essential. Demonstrate ability to create a positive and productive work environment; meet deadlines; understand priorities and periodic urgency; manage multiple projects and work assignments from a variety of staff from inception to completion.
- Must have an associate’s or bachelor’s degree and 2 years of related experience providing marketing, communications, and event support/management services
- An equivalent combination of training and/or experience providing high-level marketing, communications, and event support/management services
Technical Skills: Candidate must have or be able to quickly develop these skills at a high level
- Clear and persuasive writing, editing, and proofreading
- Proficiency with the latest versions of Google Docs and Microsoft Office software
- Proficiency with Mac program/operating systems
- Proficiency in InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Wix, iMovie, etc.
- Familiarity with online resources and vendors, such as Constant Contact, VistaPrint, online event calendars, etc.
- Familiarity with all social media platforms
Analytical/Project Management Skills:
- Exceptional project management and administrative skills; extremely organized, detail-oriented, and the ability to cheerfully persevere in the face of challenges
- Excellent analytical, research, creative problem solving, collaborative skills; very strong written and verbal communication skills
- Interest in digital, cultural, and popular trends and solid social media savvy
- Ability to work independently, determine priorities, and follow through on projects
- Ability to interact diplomatically with diverse groups of people; establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with staff, donors, the general public, and outside organizations and groups
- Demonstrate good judgment, tact, discretion, and confidentiality; flexibility and resourcefulness
- Clear background check required
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as necessary
- Valid California driver’s license, DMV report may be required
- Diversity – Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Frequently required to stand, walk, and sit
- Frequently required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Frequently required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl
- Frequently required to talk or hear
- Occasionally utilize visual acuity to operate equipment, read
- technical information, and/or use a keyboard
- Occasionally required to lift/push/carry items less than 25 pounds/ up to 25 pounds/ up to 50
- Occasional exposure to outside weather conditions
- Occasional exposure to bloodborne and airborne pathogens or infectious materials
- Occasional loud noise
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-21