Position: Communications Strategist
Reports to: Senior Manager of Strategic Communications
FLSA status: Exempt
Support implementation of the communications strategy for Best Friends’ Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Best Friends thought leadership platform, with a focus on managing select social media channels and blog, and with the goals of increasing visibility, engagement, and online presence for both our CEO and Best Friends; build an engaged supporter base with influencers; and elevate core leadership positions and themes. The Communications Strategist (CS) is responsible for bringing our CEO’s voice and priorities to life through multiple digital channels on a daily basis. The CS will work closely with Best Friends’ Communications, Digital and Programs teams to ensure that the content and messaging are aligned with our organizational goals. The CS will also work closely with our Social Media team to analyze data and performance across social channels to ensure consistent growth.
- Implement Best Friends CEO’s social media strategy, including the creation of an ongoing content calendar, identifying and cultivating relationships via social media with influencers in business, politics, philanthropy, and social good.
- Support the Strategic Communications team by writing communications materials, researching press contacts and potential opportunities, managing content and messaging calendars, assisting as needed with blog content, and monitoring news of the day.
- Manage and grow CEO’s social channels, including Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and internal Workplace, curating and maintaining a consistent daily online presence.
- Track and analyze social reach and engagement, driving regular growth on each channel and adjusting strategy and content as needed to meet established growth goals.
- Research articles, op-eds and news related to core themes, sectors, and influencers, making recommendations and initiating posts that show relevance to Best Friends and positions the organization and CEO as a leader.
- Develop strategies and tactics to optimize reach and viewership of the Best Friends blog; regularly writing blog posts and maximizing opportunities to expand and push out key messaging and positions across other channels.
- Develop a thorough understanding about issues and stakeholders within the animal welfare sector, and our CEO’s opinions on them.
- Work directly with the Senior Manager of Strategic Commuications, and the CEO as needed to better understand the CEO’s vision and objectives, as well as to capture and reflect her authentic voice.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, or relevant experience in communications, public relations, digital media, and/or marketing.
- 2-5 years of demonstrated communications-focused work and knowledge of brand growth.
- Deep understanding of the different social media channels, and desire/ability to keep up with trends and technology and an understanding of how to grow a social media following
- Strong writing and critical thinking skills, as well as strong sense of curiosity and desire to learn, gather and analyze news and information
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations
- The ideal person for this job is a team player, personable, professional, positive, energetic, proactive and uses tact and diplomacy.
- Strong communication, multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail, problem solving and time management skills
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule that includes some weekends and evenings.
- Ability to work independently and use judgment within established guidelines.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends position on issues.
- Excellent computer skills including experience with Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Ability to sit and view computer screen for long periods of time.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, or domestic partner status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-06-09