Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Reporting to the Development & Communications Manager (DCM), the Communications Strategist will be primarily responsible for developing and executing the organization’s external communications strategy, including press and media releases, newsletters, social media and blog posts, and website maintenance. The Communications Strategist will work with the executive leadership and Development & Communications team on shaping, strategizing and directing external communications with partner organizations, public and media and will create a cohesive and effective communications strategy.
1. Media Requests:
· Review and coordinate incoming media requests in a timely manner and respond in accordance with internal protocols
· Work with media contacts, DCM, appropriate staff, and clients to determine the best representatives based on the incoming request while ensuring spokesperson choices are equitable and representative of all backgrounds including Black, indigenous, persons of color, anti-ableism, and LGBTQIA+ persons.
· Collaborates with DCM to write talking points for all staff and client interviews and media appearances.
· Work proactively with the legal team and DCM to review client case history and identify stories and spokespeople to pitch to media outlets, scheduling interviews with staff and/or clients as necessary
· Prepare clients and staff to speak with media, including talking points and mock interviews if necessary and work diligently with reporters to ensure our clients and staff are quoted correctly, identified correctly, and that no information that may be detrimental to their case or our organization is published.
· Translate as needed for all media requests
· Document all incoming requests and update our media log as needed
2. Social Media and Content Creation
· Interview staff and clients regarding success stories and/or egregious examples of mistreatment of immigrants.
· Create bilingual (English/Spanish) graphics for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter. YouTube, ImmDef Website, and development or task force/coalition events as needed ensuring ADA compliancy.
· Schedule, edit and produce video content including Spanish and English subtitles across all platforms.
· Utilize our scheduling system to upload pending posts upon approval
· Share relevant articles and provide analysis of changes to immigration policy for our audience working collaboratively with DCM and legal staff
· Interview and highlight ImmDef staff and Board of Directors in collaboration with DCM and Program Directors/Leads
· Publicize job openings on all platforms
· Share press mentioning ImmDef and our team and/or clients in a timely manner
· Uplift and post content from media kits and messaging devised by our partners, coalitions, and task forces.
· Monitor analytics weekly with Dev and Comms team
· Create analytics report for Board of Directors meetings
· Attend webinars and training as needed to stay up-to-date on best practices in social media campaigns.
· Write varied copy for A/B testing
· Draft newsletter (write copy & create media as needed) for all subgroups
· Maintain newsletter calendar and collaborate with DCM on newsletter topics.
· Collaborate with Development and Communications team and program leads to write and edit copy for website.
· Collaborates with DCA and DCM on webpage update calendar.
· Coordinates with Dev/Comms team to write and edit copy as needed for development newsletters, campaigns, speeches, etc.
· The Communications Strategist will report directly to the DCM and will work with the executive team on shaping, strategizing and directing external communications with partner organizations, public and media.
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively (in English and Spanish) to a variety of audiences both verbally and in writing
- Proficiency with all major social media platforms
- Very strong attention to detail and strong organizational skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with staff and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem solving;
- Highly resourceful team player, with the ability to also excel independently and efficiently manage time;
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of constituent service and response
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
Required Education and Experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and Spanish is required and Spanish proficiency will be tested at time of interview
- B.A., or High School Diploma/GED w/ 2-4 years’ experience required
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under pressure
- Enthusiasm for working at a progressive, start-up organization
- Passion for social justice for immigrants required
- DACA recipients encouraged to apply
Preferred Education and Experience
- Communications experience in a mission-driven organization
- Four-year degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or related discipline preferred
- Proven Stability in past employment endeavors
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
None required for this position.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Classification and Work Schedule
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., but may work schedule be flexible based on the needs of the organization and/or the qualified candidate.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
Occasional local day travel is expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
“We require COVID-19 vaccinations or weekly testing to be considered.”
How to Apply
3) Three professional references, and
4)brief collection of writing samples.
**Writing samples should include content in both English and Spanish and may consist of social media posts, press releases, media advisories, official statements, newsletters, op-ed work, media pitch emails, or other relevant content. The collection as a whole should not exceed 5 pages of content, and individual pieces should be one page or less where possible. Applications not accepted without a writing sample.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
ImmDef believes in second chances. As an organization, we will rely on individualized assessments in the hiring of those with past criminal convictions. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for a position fighting for our immigrant communities!
Immigrant Defenders Law Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job posted: 2021-12-28