Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Community/Government Relations Manager
Sims Metal (Sims) is a global leader in metal recycling. With facilities across the globe, Sims plays an intrinsic role in the circular economy by making resources available for future use. As a responsible corporate citizen, we continuously seek new ways to broaden our participation in the environmental sector, ensuring that our future is as bright, safe, and secure as at any time in our long history.
Sims is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value the diversity of all of our employees, and we are committed to creating a working environment that is built on a foundation of respect and inclusion where everyone can contribute, advance on merit, and realize their full potential.
A Public & Government Relation Manager develops and implements their company’s overall strategic public relations programs. Programs may often include media relations, community relations, internal communications and investor relations.
Directs and implements a company’s public relations strategies. Manages media relations, announcements, editorial placement, and speaking opportunities. Develops press releases, white papers and supporting materials. Familiar with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Will report to the Regional President. The primary skill of a lobbyist is to construct and communicate messages to legislators. Strong communication skills to persuade legislators to vote on public policy in favor of their SMM interests. The successful lobbyist candidate should have previous public relations experience and a network of contacts with policymakers and other members of public office.
- Job responsibilities include being able to have a deep understanding of the clients’ interests in active legislation, strong communication skills to reinforce clients’ position on the issues at hand, possess a working knowledge of other interest groups holding a similar position as the clients’, prepare press releases, informational literature and at times represent the client at news conferences and in other forms of media. Other responsibilities include scheduling and facilitating meetings with legislators on behalf of the client, responding to regulatory inquiries and testifying at public hearings. Generally, a lobbyist is required to register his lobbying activities with government agencies and report his expenditures to stay within compliance guidelines.
- Lead the development of overall Public Relations Strategy and implementation
- Execute on the Public Relations Strategy to drive inquiries from new clients and increase national awareness of SMM West Region Group capabilities
- Integrate Public Relations activities into overall marketing campaigns to support business objectives and collaborate with other cross‐functional departments
- Prepare press releases, talking points, presentations and other communications materials for external and internal audiences
- Work with New Business and New Media teams to provide Public Relations service offerings
- Develop and maintain media contact and distribution lists specific to client objectives
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with trade, local and national media
- Manage the content on the SMM Group website
- Develop business strategy to profitably provide Public Relations services to clients to drive their business objectives
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent work experience required. 5 to 10 years Area Regulator and Public Relations experience including client relationship management
- Ability to think outside‐the‐box and provide unique communications solutions that raise SMM Midwest Region’s Group profile with key audiences and contacts
- Knowledge of Direct Response Advertising strongly preferred
- Proven relationships with media outlets
- The ability to pitch and place stories and design effective PR campaigns for Agency and Clients
- An understanding of social and new‐media opportunities including the ability to integrate new/social media solutions into Agency and Client business
- Be self‐motivated, and bring effective work habits to a fast‐paced, deadline oriented environment; must be flexible and adapt quickly to shifting priorities
- Strong project management skills, including development of project plans and timelines, as well as producing project updates, analysis and ROI measurement for senior management
- Experience managing outside contractors and agencies, as well as working cross‐functionally
- Strong written and verbal communications skills a must
- Strong organizational skills with keen attention to detail
- Excellent listening/interpretation skills
- Effective and creative strategic thinker and planner
- Excellent personal, communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience developing profitable business unit
- Demonstrated experience promoting Public Relations capabilities to earn client trust/business
- Ability to work successfully in a collaborative team‐based environment
- Strong journalistic writing skills a must
- Success development strategies and tactics for integrated marketing plans
- Proven record of successfully expanding existing client business
- Creative mind with a track record of putting new ideas into practice and assessing results
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Photoshop
- Proven ability to interact with senior level executives and press; strong interpersonal skills
With a promote-from-within philosophy and a variety of programs available to support continuous learning, Sims offers the opportunity for a rewarding career. We are committed to the ecologically sound and sustainable use of resources and strive to operate in a manner that minimizes waste and protects the environment.
A career with Sims provides you with the opportunity to work with an organization whose goal is to be the world’s safest and most responsible recycling company. Our people achieve this by creating a zero-harm workplace, being exemplary members of the communities in which we operate, and being responsible stewards of the environment. We also offer competitive pay and a range of attractive benefits.
Find Out More…
Please visit www.simsltd.com for more information on Sims and its commitment to sustainability.
SIMS LIMITED IS PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE VALUE THE DIVERSITY OF ALL OF OUR EMPLOYEES AND ARE COMMITTED TO CREATING AN INCLUSIVE WORKING ENVIRONMENT WHERE EVERYONE CAN CONTRIBUTE, ADVANCE ON MERIT, AND REALIZE THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. SIMS LIMITED IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. THE COMPANY DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE WITH REGARD TO RACE, SEX, RELIGION, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, CITIZENSHIP STATUS, DISABILITY, AGE, MARITAL OR FAMILIAL STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, GENDER EXPRESSION, VETERAN STATUS, HOUSING STATUS, SOURCE OF INCOME, OR ANY OTHER STATUS PROTECTED BY FEDERAL, STATE, OR LOCAL LAWS. THIS APPLIES TO ANY EMPLOYMENT DECISION, INCLUDING RECRUITING, HIRING, PLACEMENT, PROMOTION, TERMINATION, LAYOFF, RECALL, TRANSFER, LEAVES OF ABSENCE, COMPENSATION, AND TRAINING. QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WITH A DISABILITY IN NEED OF A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION MAY REQUEST SUCH WITHOUT FEAR OF REPRISAL OR DISCRIMINATION.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-12