Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Community Organizer (DC)
This person will play a key role in supporting the organizing strategy to build power at the state and national levels to secure transformational wins aimed at expanding the freedom to vote and will be particularly focused on national actions and the DC, VA, and MD area, although not exclusively.
Key components of the job include working with League affiliates and national staff: to build the capacity of League leaders to recognize, own, and amplify their power through training, capacity building, coaching and strategic campaign development; to build a strong volunteer infrastructure by growing our base of activists and engagers, and by developing and supporting new and current leaders; to support campaign implementation through direct actions and other engagements and; to create a connection between national issue campaigns and local activities.
This position reports to the National Organizing Senior Manager.
- Build strong, trusted, and authentic relationships with League leaders in the national capital area.
- Develop strong working relationships with partner organizations and local community members.
- Work across departments to ensure that organizing goals complement other campaign and organizational goals.
- Implement online and offline organizing strategies to help LWV (League of Women Voters) achieve legislative, advocacy, and program wins, and to build grassroots organizing power.
- Work to expand LWV online and offline presence and grow supporters in the DC area and strengthen state League capacity.
- Work to further develop and grow volunteer leadership and capacity at the state and local levels to advance organizing work.
- Implement campaigns to continue to grow LWV’s engagement with communities within the New American Majority, especially communities of color and young people.
- Support the use of online organizing and reporting tools to support program goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or 2 years of comparable experience required;
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in community, labor, issue, or political organizing, or leadership development, including understanding of community organizing principles.
- Experience implementing, monitoring, and assessing field plans.
- Experience driving calls to action.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong attention to detail and excellent people skills.
- Ability to engage diverse communities in an authentic way.
- Familiarity with voting rights, election reform and voter engagement preferred.
- Willingness and availability to travel; have a valid driver’s license.
- Experience working with Office 365, Salsa-Engage, Salesforce, OutreachCircle, and/or NGP VAN (Voter Action Network) a plus.
- Ability to use social media tools (like Facebook, twitter, and Instagram) to organize is required.
- Experience in training others in organizing skills a plus.
- Bi-lingual or ASL certified a plus.
BENEFITS AND TENURE:
This position is for a one-year term with the option to renew based upon performance and funding. We have a generous benefits package that includes 95 percent employer-sponsored health insurance, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, vacation days, sick days, pre-tax transit benefits, and the opportunity to contribute to a 401(k) plan.
Job posted: 2022-08-24